Sr. Software Engineer - Developer Platform
About the Team
The Cloud Engineering team enables Slack's engineers to build and run services in the cloud in a safe, simple, and reliable manner. Slack’s infrastructure is always evolving to support our fast-growing business and looking for engineers to join our growing team.
We are a team of systems and software engineers based out of Australia (AEST) and the west coast of the US (Pacific time). We provide a compute platform for our engineers to deploy containers in Slack's ecosystem of Kubernetes, Consul, Envoy and Nebula. We develop tools and services that make it easier for product teams to build and operate their services. We manage our worldwide AWS cloud ecosystem and drive the adoption of new cloud technologies within Slack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
This role is open to candidates based in any AEST timezone within Australia.
What you will be doing
- Working on impactful projects within a small, agile team to advance our overall platform.
- Developing on Slacks underlying Cloud infrastructure. This involves building tools and services, contributing to our internal PaaS solution (Kubernetes powered) and making access to AWS services simple and effective.
- Designing and developing new highly-available infrastructure components to meet the needs of our growing and evolving product
- Participating in an on-call rotation for the services our team owns, triaging and addressing production issues
- Engaging with Slack’s engineering community to identify potential areas of improvement and pain points as well as driving adoption of our team’s solutions
What you should have
- Curiosity about how things work and love to share that knowledge with others
- Proficiency with software engineering practices: unit tests, code review, design documentation
- Ability to build tooling, automation and/or services in one or multiple languages (e.g. Go, Python)
- An interest in building internal products with other engineers as your customers
- Experience deploying and operating services in a Cloud environment
- A good understanding of fundamental networking
You probably tick most of these boxes:
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in software engineering, working in a team environment
- Proficiency with one or more programming languages -- e.g., Go, Python, Ruby, or others
- Experience building and releasing software using Docker containers
- Moderate experience deploying, operating and debugging server software on Linux
- Experience implementing internal platform products (in the build / deploy / operate areas of the software lifecycle)
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS
- Familiar with deployment automation/configuration management -- e.g, Chef, Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation or others