Regional Underwriting Counsel (Remote Local)
New York, NY
Build the solution that transforms the real estate industry!
Want to infuse a $34B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Yearning for a startup culture within a profitable nationwide company? Join Doma and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the world.
Doma and its family of brands - States Title, North American Title Company (NATC) and North American Title Insurance Company (NATIC) - offer solutions for lenders, real estate professionals, title agents, and homeowners that make closings vastly more simple and efficient, reducing cost and increasing customer satisfaction.
- Customer Obsessed – We always put our customers first.
- Solution Driven – We solve problems that other people are afraid to.
- People leaders – We grow all of our people into leaders.
- One Team – We believe inclusion and teamwork produce the best results.
- Direct with Respect – We communicate with honesty and respect to our colleagues, customers, and partners.
Summary of Position:
This Doma underwriting counsel shall assist in underwriting decisions pertinent to residential and commercial properties located within the geographic regions including the State of New York and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as well as back-up underwriting support in additional jurisdictions as needed. This is a fully remote position.
Provides advisory guidance to affiliated agents, Doma employees, independent agents and customers on underwritten files. Monitors and manages high liability approvals. Communicates with and assists customers regarding Company's products and services. Assists affiliated agency staff with the legal aspects of title and closing issues. Represents Company in state and national land title associations, reviews and maintains compliance with state regulations, laws, statutes and regulations, and with rating agencies. Maintains confidentiality. Refers to Company's other Underwriting Counsel for consultation.
This role will also serve as the Company liaison embracing strategic roles with county, state and national industry organizations, state Bar associations and national industry trade organizations like ALTA, MBA and NAIC. This counsel will also work closely with sales team in the markets to increase market share development and with multi-state commercial and residential agents.
Agent education is critical and the multi-jurisdictional approach is critical. This role will participate in agent and associate training to benefit not only Doma agents but all Company employees in title related roles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical of those performed by associates in this job title; however, assigned duties may vary and associates may perform other related duties, and not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each associate in the job title or at a particular location.
Under general supervision:
• Underwrites commercial and residential title closings.
• Assists independent and affiliated agent title and escrow officers on extraordinary issues, questions and closing problems.
• Supports Company efforts with assigned state regulators, rating agencies and bureaus and licensing organizations.
• Reviews and approves high liability orders within maximum approved limits.
• Provides independent and affiliated agent training.
• Advises and meets with independent and affiliated agents regarding escrow and title closing issues.
• Supports independent and affiliated agents with marketing efforts directed at attorneys, lenders, realtors or buyer/seller clients.
• Cooperates with Doma Claims team on request, advises the title or escrow officers, and claims counsel involved upon the request of the Claims Department.
• Participates as requested by management in marketing and education efforts, including developing and making presentations to large and small groups, writing Bulletins and articles for Doma internal and external publications.
• Stays current and distributes to staff information regarding new laws and procedures.
• Involvement in title industry associations, state and local title organizations as well as related industry and state bar associations.
• Travel on Company business within state and without.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Deputy Chief Underwriting Counsel and Chief Underwriting Counsel.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Juris Doctorate degree.
• Continuing legal education requirements.
• Member of Bar Association and license to practice law in at least one primary assigned state and willingness to secure license in additional states as warranted by corporate growth.
• Title insurance underwriting experience and background.
• Knowledge of real estate and title insurance law in assigned state(s).
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
• Relevant computer skills: Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, various title data bases.
We want the work you do here to be the best work of your life.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
- Our passionate, capable team will always be our #1 benefit
- We are proud of the team we have built so far, and we are excited about the team we have yet to add
- Learn something new every day
- Get more done than you would anywhere else
- Competitive salaries
- Top-of-the-line computer equipment
- Multiple Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits options to allow you to customize to your and your Family’s needs
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Commuter Flexible Spending Account (i.e. Transit or Parking)
- Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
- Auto & Home Insurance Group Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
We believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Other jobs like this
Commercial CounselCompliance Cybersecurity HR Human Resources Interpersonal skills Real estate Research SaaS Security Training
Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation Health care +4
Governance, Risk and Compliance Associate Project ManagerCompliance Customer service Human Resources Jira LMS MongoDB NIST Project Management Research Risk management +4
Career development Fertility benefits Parental leave
Director, Governance, Risk & Compliance - Senior Care (12 month contract)Compliance Cybersecurity DevOps HIPAA Human Resources Mentoring NIST Product management Project Management Risk management +5
Career development Health care Transparency
Relay Graduate School of Education
Associate General CounselCompliance Corporate governance Cross-functional Legal knowledge Research Training
Career development Equity Fitness / gym Flex hours Flex vacation +5
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Coaching-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs