Engineering Manager - Product Engineering
Remote (United States or Canada)
At CircleCI, we enable thousands of developers to do better work every day. Join the world’s largest shared CI/CD platform as an Engineering Manager and a member of our Product Engineering organization to help us build, support, and grow the people who make that possible, by building impactful teams while supporting our engineering organization. As a rapidly-growing engineering team, we’re always looking for experienced Engineering Managers who want to have an impact on the work of developers across the globe, and who are excited about scaling technical and human systems alike.
We’re a rapidly-growing engineering organization that’s been distributed across North America, Europe, and Asia for many years. We’re looking for engineering managers to help build our leadership team within one of our three product engineering domains - Core, Growth, or Data Engineering. Our Core domain works closely with the very center of our product - on the services and APIs that power our pipelines, identities, permissions, and the larger CircleCI ecosystem. Our Growth domain is closest to the user experience - rapidly iterating and learning through data and experimentation in areas across the user lifecycle from onboarding to payment and beyond. Our Data domain empowers our business stakeholders and customers alike utilizing the wealth of data created by our platform.
As the manager for one of our cross-functional teams, you’ll collaborate daily with 4-8 fulltime remote, distributed engineers and build partnerships with product managers, designers, user researchers, and stakeholders across our organization. You will report directly to one of our Senior Engineering Managers - the head of engineering for your teams domain. You’ll take ownership and accountability for the success of your team.
You will also regularly collaborate on organization-wide initiatives with your peers in the Engineering Management team. We’re continuously investing in improving as an organization and our Engineering Managers and their leadership is a crucial part of this.
This is a full-time role in the US or Canada.
What you’ll do
- Build out and support the team: You’ll partner with our Recruiting team to attract, hire, onboard, and retain diverse top engineering talent and build out your engineering team further, together with the rest of the engineering management team. You build out a team culture that’s centered on open communication, strong feedback culture, quick experimentation, blameless learning, and embracing failure and learning from it.
- Support engineers’ growth: You’ll have direct reports ranging from junior-level to highly experienced engineers, and will be responsible for their performance and career growth. You’ll work with them to identify areas in our Engineering Competency Matrix where they’d like to focus their efforts, and support them through regular feedback, goal setting, and providing them with challenging work that drives value for our users and business.
- Drive innovation and utilize data to continuously improve: Partner with our Product Management team and Data Scientists/Analysts to support the team in continuously experimenting in alignment with our engineering strategy, and utilize data to review outcomes and adjust quickly as needed.
- Learning and Development: Develop people and the team through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their learning and development. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging on your team and throughout our organization.
- Organizational work: Help us continuously improve and grow and build further support structures for our teams by driving broader organizational development and cross-cutting initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Technical work: Help grow the expertise of your team’s performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation. You are not expected to write or review code on a regular basis, however you are accountable for technical decisions made by the team, as well as improving the overall reliability, performance and cost within the domains and services you own.
- Business value delivery: Ensure incremental value delivery and high-quality standards for the team while supporting strategic work in collaboration with our Product organization. Accountable for team strategy, goal setting, progress, & accomplishment, as well as cross-team impact.
- Support your team through on-call: As part of this role, you’ll periodically participate in our after-hours on-call rotation.
What we’re looking for
- Team and people development: You have at least three years of experience building and leading software development or operations teams and have managed teams that have built and shipped products at scale. Your experience includes hiring, supporting employee growth, and performance management.
- Data-driven: You bring analytical skills and rely on data to make decisions about the best action to take, and are keen to monitor progress against key metrics, and do so quickly to be able to adapt as needed. You drive towards outcomes and assess any opportunity for its potential impact, and help your team do the same.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator who enjoys driving a culture of open communication on your team. You have strong feedback skills and communicate openly with your team and are open to being wrong and having your mind changed. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
- Delivery: You are knowledgeable about modern software engineering practices and how to apply them. You believe in agile and lean values. You’re experienced in the day-to-day practices of continuous delivery and agile development in a production environment, and in helping teams utilize them to support rapid experimentation. You favor regular, incremental delivery over perfection. You have experience in your time as a manager collaborating closely with a product manager or product management team to deliver customer-facing features.
- Leadership: You are a service-oriented leader, an effective communicator and strong collaborator who emphasizes continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive teams. You thrive on developing people and building inclusive teams. You are able to make hard decisions and tradeoffs, and thrive on a high level of responsibility and autonomy. You like working on high exposure projects and tasks, and are keen to have impact in a crucial business domain.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and a drive to continuously improve the teams you work with. You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Remote work: You have spent at least 6 months working remotely full-time. You are comfortable working on and leading a distributed team across multiple time zones (currently within North America).
- Adaptability: You are comfortable with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge, and you’re able to help your team adjust to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed. Our company and customer base are rapidly growing and this means new information can lead to new processes and outcomes.
You’ll find more information about Engineering Management roles at CircleCI on our blog:
- This post contains more information about our hiring process for managers: What we've learned about hiring engineering managers
- What to expect as a remote CircleCI employee
- How my distributed team communicates so no context is left behind
- Our engineering competency matrix, a framework that outlines expectations and growth paths for engineers
Work remotely with our globally distributed team!
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. The team you’ll be leading is distributed across North America, supporting our internal teams and a global customer base. For this role, we are hiring an Engineering Manager to work remotely in the United States and through our affiliate, Continuous Labs, in the following Canadian territories: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.