Software Engineer - App Core
Remote - Europe
Posted 1 month ago
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub.
We’re looking for an experienced full-stack software engineer to join a passionate, adaptive, and distributed group of engineers working to improve tooling and fundamentals in support of the main GitHub application. The main focus of this role is to help developers building GitHub to do their best work. This will involve leading the charge on hard problems and paving the paths for others to follow when they have similar things to solve.
You’ll work with our team of engineers, designers, and product managers to build and maintain customer-facing experiences and deliver them into the hands of millions of developers across the world.
- You will write architecture briefs and proposals, carry out code experiments, and work with Product and Design teams to build new features and own delivery end-to-end
- You will need to work with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will need to be comfortable doing outreach across the engineering organization to understand needs and then to design and build things that address those needs
- You will document the systems you help build
- You will work with support to triage and debug technical support requests
- You will provide mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- You will become an owner and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in an on-call rotation and respond to incidents as necessary
- At least 3 years experience developing web applications in Ruby on Rails
- At least 1 year of remote work experience on a software team
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with SQL and general database knowledge
- A background in refactoring large-scale systems
- Solid knowledge of testing principles
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal (particularly as part of a remote team)
- Experience with telemetry systems (e.g. Datadog, Sentry, VividCortex, Splunk)
- Experience with event-driven architectures and streaming data platforms (e.g Kafka)
- Experience with orchestration (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience integrating with various third party services (e.g. SendGrid, Slack, Firebase)
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.