Staff Software Engineer - Platform
Canada - Remote
Posted 1 month ago
Who we are and what we do
SurveyMonkey (Nasdaq: SVMK), is a leader in agile software solutions for customer experience, market research, and survey feedback. Our mission is to power the curious and enable organizations, including 98% of the Fortune 500, to transform feedback into action. Our brand is beloved and well known throughout the world—over 6 billion people have taken a SurveyMonkey survey! Today, more than 17 million active users rely on our platform to measure and understand feedback from employees, customers, website and app users, and the market. And our enterprise-grade products and solutions enable 335,000+ organizations globally to solve daily challenges—from delivering better customer experiences to increasing employee retention.
More about our Responses Platform team
As part of our team, you will help us build and support a high-traffic platform for capturing survey responses. We're looking for a teammate to help us develop a new architecture while maintaining the existing services that are necessary to our primary products.
What we're looking for
We're looking for somebody who has a passion for solving complex and interesting problems. Our services run on AWS, and we're looking for opportunities to employ more native AWS services as we continue to develop our next-generation platform. SurveyMonkey has evolved beyond our original core survey offering to include a host of other products and our platform must grow to encompass all of the products in our portfolio to provide a seamless experience for our customers. This positions reports to a Software Engineering Manager.
- Architect and maintain services across multiple data regions
- Develop new features, including creating technical specs, writing readable code, and keeping tabs on post-release metrics
- Design fault-tolerant systems that can scale
- Build observable systems that track important metrics and automatically notify
- Investigate and address issues with performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Participate in code reviews
- Mentor engineers on best practices
- 12+ years of experience with backend web application and API development
- Experience building scalable and reliable platforms
- Experience writing efficient SQL queries and designing schemas for relational databases (we use MSSQL and MySQL)
- Promoted a culture of code reviews, writing tech specs, and working with others
- Worked in agile environments with frequent deployments
- Availability to support production services in an on-call rotation
- A B.S. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent relevant years of professional experience
Nice to have
- Experience with micro-services architecture
- In-depth, hands-on knowledge of Python and experience working with the relevant tools
- Experience with continuous integration (frequent deployments)
- Material contributions to open source projects
- Linux (Ubuntu) configuration and administration
- Experience with multi-region data center architecture
- GraphQL experience
What we offer our employees
SurveyMonkey is a place where the curious come to grow. By embedding inclusion into our processes, policies, and culture for our 1,000+ employees across North America, Europe, and APAC, we’re building a workplace where people of every background can thrive. We’ve won multiple awards and received recognition for our forward-looking policies, including extended parental and bereavement leave, vendor benefits standards, and Take 4 sabbaticals.
SurveyMonkey was recognized by Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE as a top workplace in 2018 and 2019, and the company has also won numerous awards as a leader in global survey software, including being named among CNBC’s Disruptor 50 and the Forbes Cloud 100.
Our commitment to an inclusive workplace
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
Learn more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.