As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is in search of an ambitious, detail-oriented Cities Manager to join our team. The ideal candidate is a seasoned journalist and people manager who is enthusiastic about running a digital team that spans 26 cities. Working with our Cities Director, the manager will advise a group of editors working both locally and nationally on how to plan and track their editorial operations—while sharing and enforcing best practices.
What you’ll do:
- Manage, mentor, and motivate a group of city editors in a variety of geographical locations, helping them develop an editorial vision for their site, connect them with resources, and other operational support. You’ll handle personnel matters, performance management, and other duties related to your direct reports
- Handle hiring and onboarding for new members of your team
- Aid Cities Director in communication efforts, editorial calendar creation, resource delegation, accountability measures, documentation, and developing strategic initiatives
- Edit journalistic work including high-touch features, sensitive stories, maps, packages, columns, and headlines
- Train other editors to produce quality reporting and service-oriented journalism
- Be a partner to Eater’s engagement team and help lead and communicate engagement efforts for Eater’s city sites
- Coordinate across other teams in the company such as legal, benefits, and people & culture
- Conduct some business travel to Vox Media’s NY offices and across the country to meet with editors and facilitate offsite workshops
What you’ll bring:
- A passion for restaurant journalism and a drive to help editors tell meaningful stories in their cities
- A diverse background in reporting, writing, and editing, with expertise in how to cultivate a beat, develop sources, and produce engaging headlines
- A keen attention to detail and experience with copy editing
- Interest in analytics and familiarity with social media tools
- Experience in managing a team (experience in managing remote workers a plus)
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- A proven track record for motivating individuals, time management, and the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- A strong grasp of/ability to adapt to Eater’s voice and style
- The ability to thrive on change, take risks, and live up to Vox Media’s values
- The flexibility to work with city editors across multiple locations and time zones
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.