Executive Producer, Team Community Podcasts
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
We’re looking for an experienced Executive Producer who is excited about working across SB Nation communities and developing dynamic, entertaining, and informative audio talent while producing both the best team-specific daily shows and original shows centered around entire leagues.
The Executive Producer will work closely with SB Nation’s array of 185+ team-specific podcasts, manage audio producers, and collaborate with SB Nation and Vox Media leadership to develop original shows around sports communities. The EP will also execute the overall SB Nation strategy for team community podcasts and be tasked with tracking and growing the audience(s), providing quality control, feedback, and technical expertise across the entire operation.
What you’ll do:
- Bring strong editorial, creative, and management leadership to SB Nation’s 185+ community podcasts, with a goal of growing their audiences and developing their programming.
- Execute the overall SB Nation strategy for community podcasts that appeals to sponsors, while ensuring that the overall voice has a tone that helps listeners connect with localized content.
- Direct and develop full-time audio producers and work with SB Nation community Producers to manage and grow The SB Nation NFL Show.
- Work with contractors to develop content that captures their “fan voice” while incorporating the latest news about their team.
- Work with producers and editors on distribution best practices that best fit their community’s schedule and culture.
- Monitor podcasts to ensure output is high-quality and resonating with listeners via listening metrics and reviews.
- Develop and facilitate the sharing of best practices and centralized resources, offer feedback, and respond to requests for technical support.
- Assist in sales planning and execution.
- Work with producers to book talent for interviews.
- Coordinate coverage between multiple podcasts, especially around tentpole events.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience leading sports audio, with podcasts a must but radio experience a plus
- Experience creating, recording, editing, and launching podcasts and a solid understanding of what it takes to create a podcast from start to finish.
- Experience managing, developing, and building audio talent into stars
- A portfolio that demonstrates an ear for great tape and inventive approaches to audio storytelling
- Comfort working on deadline/breaking news turnaround show production and publishing
- A track record of developing stories that draw on diverse perspectives/source lists
- Strong collaborative skills, as well as the ability to delegate and prioritize effectively
- Proficiency in audio mixing
- Passionate about finding new trends in podcasting, and ability to adapt approach quickly.
- Familiarity with SB Nation team community voices
- Awareness of what competitors are doing in podcasting
- Experience vetting show pitches and guiding the program development process
- Experience as the editorial/creative lead for a successful podcast or broadcast program
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.