Director and Managing Counsel, Commercial (East)
Remote - US
Posted 8 months ago
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for an experienced Managing Counsel to lead Twilio’s commercial legal team in the eastern half of North America. This role can be remote, but the individual should be located in the Eastern time zone. In this role, you will lead the further growth of Twilio’s Commercial Legal Team in this region and support the commercial contract work for Twilio’s Enterprise Sales organization.
You are a talented and creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts, while at the same time growing and managing a team of superstars. This job is for you if you enjoy a fast-paced environment and love giving high-fives (virtual ones) when a deal closes. You have supported large enterprise sales organizations before and enjoy understanding the business drivers behind a particular deal. You must have a zealous attention to detail, excellent judgment and writing skills, and be customer support focused when dealing with internal clients and external customers
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
- 8+ years of legal experience, with at least 5+ years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., XAAS).
- 2+ years managing a small to mid-sized team of direct reports (at least a team of 4 reports).
- Ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” who is able to both negotiate complex transactions and manage/mentor a team of lawyers and contract professionals.
- Experience supporting a large sales organization selling to an enterprise customer base (e.g., F500, G2000).
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and recommendations that properly balances the legal risk and business reward
- Must be able to take complex legal concepts and explain them in a way that allows a non-lawyer to understand the issue and the associated risk
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal and financial risks, coordinating issue resolution and employing creative problem-solving.
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and mentor an existing team of commercial lawyers and contract professionals. Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, and management of a wide range of legal agreements. Advise Twilio’s internal clients on contract interpretation and negotiation. Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilio’s customers and the requests from Twilio’s internal clients. Strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard commercial templates. Create processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global business.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Partner with Sales leadership to ensure the commercial legal team is working on the right deals at the right time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Train and mentor the commercial legal team on negotiation strategy and substantive legal skills.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. For this role, given its support of the Enterprise East Sales team, this individual should be based in the Eastern time zone to allow for in-region support. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
More Remote work and WFH position highlights
- Explore open Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Support Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Explore open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Visual Designer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Explore open Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Account Executive Jobs
- Explore open QA Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect Jobs
- Explore open Community Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open Marketing Operations Manager Jobs
- Explore open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Explore open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Customer Support Specialist Jobs
- Explore open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Explore open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Front End Engineer Jobs
- Explore open React-related jobs
- Explore open Competitive salary-related jobs
- Explore open Data-driven-related jobs
- Explore open Coaching-related jobs
- Explore open Backend-related jobs
- Explore open B2B-related jobs
- Explore open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Explore open Customer service-related jobs
- Explore open UX-related jobs
- Explore open User Experience-related jobs
- Explore open Docker-related jobs
- Explore open Azure-related jobs
- Explore open AI-related jobs
- Explore open HTML-related jobs
- Explore open Integrations-related jobs
- Explore open CRM-related jobs
- Explore open Mentoring-related jobs
- Explore open Ruby-related jobs
- Explore open UI-related jobs
- Explore open Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Explore open Distributed systems-related jobs
- Explore open Cloud-based-related jobs
- Explore open CSS-related jobs
- Explore open CI/CD-related jobs
- Explore open HR-related jobs