Observability - Team Lead Application Performance Monitoring (Agents)
Posted 1 month ago
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Metrics, Logs and Uptime solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As a Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to lead a team of developers and work with Product Management and Technical Leadership to evolve our APM product. Your team will be responsible for developing each language (Java, .NET, Go, Python, Ruby, PHP, Node.js) specific agent and working with APM Server and UI teams to deliver the Elastic APM solution. You will guide the teams in evaluating platform and language support in this ever changing landscape. You will shepherd involvement in industry wide initiatives like OpenTelemetry. You will work with other teams at Elastic to ensure delivery of a comprehensive observability solution that leverages the power of the Elastic Stack - Elasticsearch, Machine Learning, and more.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on a daily basis over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. Thus, the ability to work within a distributed team is critical. You don’t always need to be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but instead should be able to guide discussions to help the team make decisions together.
What you will be doing
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team covering development 7+ APM Agents (Java, .NET, Go, Python, Ruby, PHP, Node.js)
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Work with our Product Management team to define requirements
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and consensus based decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Identify resource requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathizes with others
What you will bring along
- Experience leading distributed teams of software engineers (people manager, tech lead)
- Significant experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- A compassionate approach to communication, a good sense of humour, and a genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with
- Experience with application performance monitoring
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving — we match up to 1% of your salary
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.