Staff Software Engineer, Build
Remote, United States
Slack is looking for engineers to design and build automated solutions to improve the performance and delivery of Slack’s source control and build systems.
We sit between backend engineering and operations, and are passionate about continually improving Slack's build, source control, and CI systems. We build and maintain systems that help hundreds of Slack engineers get their code out to millions of users. We work collaboratively with teams across the company to make sure builds and deploys are safe, reliable, and secure. We work frequently with Jenkins, Kubernetes, Terraform, Chef, Bazel, and AWS. Our team is a mix of backend engineers who love operations and SREs who wanted to write more code—if you're either of those, or somewhere in between, you could be an excellent fit!
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Participate in and lead strategy and design sessions involving key technology to build automated tooling to configure and maintain our CI and source control systems.
- Participate in the team on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
- Improve monitoring and alerting for our services.
- Improve automatic provisioning to address growth and demand.
What you should have
- Strong documentation, collaboration and communication skills.
- Experience using deployment automation/configuration management like Chef, Puppet or Ansible.
- Confidence with Linux systems and virtualized environments (AWS, GCE) and comfort using CLI tools and automation to manage them
- Experience in DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering
- Experience with continuous integration systems (Jenkins, Travis CI, Circle CI) and have ideas on how to improve them.
- 2+ years of experience writing software
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.