Staff, Software Engineer (L4) - Customer Engagement
Remote - US
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who wants to design, develop, deploy and operate services at scale to power Twilio’s next generation products offering in the customer engagement space. You are eager to learn from the team as well as inspire your teammates with your knowledge and skills. You think about how data and application of machine learning and intelligence shapes software as much as how your code does. The person in this role will be critical in building services which will empower our customers to create highly personalized communications and experiences for their contacts. Come be part of a team that's building a set of ML-driven APIs that deliver intelligent audience and personalization recommendations. You have at least 5 years experience building large distributed systems with high reliability and scalability.
Twilio is looking for a Software engineer who lives the Twilio Magic. They also have:
- Personal traits: Curious, humble, team player
- Professionally: Passionate, customer-obsessed, gets things done, highly collaborative, excellent communicator, and very comfortable with rapid change and uncertainty
- Design, implement and operate REST APIs for Twilio products.
- Design, bootstrap and scale highly available and resilient JVM microservices and applications. Experience in Java (8 and above) and Python.
- Proficiency in Python is preferred. We will also consider strong quantitative candidates with a background in other programming languages
- Experience working in an agile team environment
- Big plus: Experience in AWS cloud computing
- Define and implement tight integrations with other Twilio products and third party APIs.
- Setup and operate high throughput data pipelines to power the product, using technologies like Kafka and Spark.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Communicate effectively and distill complex thoughts and concepts to technical and non-technical audiences including but not limited to group and team leadership, product managers and engineering peers. Document technology decisions and implementations, and support epic and story refinement.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify opportunities for improvement across both technology and process. Use your foresight and experience to keep our systems effectively running now and in the future through profiling, load testing, failure testing, monitoring and much more to have confidence in the robustness of the systems we deploy.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of technology decisions, including strategy, efficiencies, open source offerings, and integration details. Champion meticulous, high quality engineering and be a role model for software development habits and practices for distributed systems.
Today, Twilio powers the delivery of billions of the world’s communications. Increasingly, we’re hearing from our B2C customers that they’re struggling to harness the massive amounts of valuable data they generate, much of which stems from the communications we help them send. We seek to uncover how Twilio can help customers utilize their valuable data to create unique, individualized experiences that their competitors can’t replicate. We want to help them become more proactive (outcome-driven) than reactive (event-driven) in their customer engagements. We are a new initiative and team at Twilio that will function much like an internal start-up. If you want to shape the future of B2C Customer Engagement and Twilio, this project is for you!
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We have remote-friendly environment, you will have flexible working hours, etc. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us!
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.