Each year, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, UK, Canada and the EU to send money instantly and affordably to recipients in East & West Africa, saving our users countless hours and tens of millions of dollars in transfer fees.
We recently launched remittances to Liberia, Senegal and Bangladesh, our first receiving market outside Africa, and we’re looking to rapidly expand throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America in 2021. That's where you come in...
How you will help us achieve it
You will join Sendwave’s existing eight-member finance team as our third treasury hire. This role plays a vital part in directly driving the revenue growth of the company through optimising the rates we obtain, building great relationships with our fx partners and ensuring sufficient funds are always available and disbursed efficiently for our users transfers. In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Support in optimising Sendwave’s forex trading - negotiating and executing currency trades within the corridors we serve, ensuring best possible rates
- Supporting Sendwave’s cash management - planning and distributing funds to make sure our users money is where it needs to be, at the right time.
- Building relationships with existing and prospective bank partners to ensure optimisation of FX costs over the medium/long term.
- Management of existing and new funding channels, ensuring the most efficient utilisation per channel (debt facilities / credit lines).
- Building and maintaining short and medium term cash flow forecasts for operational funds flows.
- Collaborating on Sendwave's pricing strategy, market analysis, working with partner banks and ensuring funding lines are utilised in the most effective manner.
- Developing a playbook for treasury which Sendwave can replicate as it expands to new countries.
- Working closely with the finance engineering and accounting team to respond to queries around transactional, funds flow and partner specific issues.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- Minimum 2 years experience working within a treasury team as a forex trader or back-office treasury roles in a financial services institution.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are comfortable working with numbers and handling large sums of money with a keen eye for details
- Are open to new ideas and innovation, and can quickly process and react to new circumstances in high pressure situations, working towards the desired outcome
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate proficient Microsoft Excel skills
- Self-motivate and get things done with demonstrated effectiveness, working in ambiguous, fast-paced, and quickly changing contexts
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Hold CFA or CTP certifications, or in the process of obtaining the certification
- Are Flexible and open to travel
- This is a full time permanent position.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote.
- We are able to hire in Kenya, Uganda, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Singapore
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of 70-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as over 100 customer support personnel are fully distributed across every continent except Australia — working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world. (We’ve been fully distributed since long before COVID and will be after it’s gone.)
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Before COVID, our most recent destinations were Miami Beach and Estes Park in the US. These retreats are currently virtual & and will be until COVID dangers have passed.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.