Senior Brand Writer
Remote in Bay Area until at least July 2021
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Creative Team
We’re a collaborative group of writers and designers on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll work closely with a tight-knit team to develop messaging for all growth marketing campaigns. Champion of the brand voice, you’ll sync regularly with other Thumbtack writers to maintain a cohesive sound and brand standard across all consumer touchpoints.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior Brand Writer to concept and execute all things Growth Marketing. You’re just as comfortable teaming up with a brand designer to come up with TV commercials as you are flying solo, writing paid social ads or marketing emails. You’ll manage your own projects and timelines and partner closely with marketing stakeholders. This role will also require you to oversee the work of external agencies, ensuring their work meets our high creative bar and brand standards.
We need someone who thrives on project variety to take ownership of writing assignments big and small. Whether it’s turning around a quick banner ad or building an entire brand campaign – you’re a self-starter who loves the challenge of upleveling basic briefs into relatable, engaging creative executions.
- Sit on the Creative team and lead copywriting for all growth marketing campaigns (TV, paid social, email, push).
- Build a deep knowledge of our brand and become the go-to for all things pro & customer acquisition.
- Work closely with a brand designer on most projects and be comfortable in a writer-designer partnership.
- Help other writers on the team with copy feedback and attend regular writing feedback sessions.
- Manage your own projects – create schedules with your design partner, negotiate timing and tradeoffs with stakeholders, and ensure projects stay on track.
- Oversee the work of external agencies, which includes brainstorming projects for agencies to execute, crafting clear briefs with marketing managers, providing actionable creative feedback and ensuring the deliverables are on brand.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 4-6 years of professional writing experience at an agency or in-house.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity and impressive writing chops.
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.