Senior Backend Engineer - Developer Experience
Swvl is a transformative tech-enabled mobility platform based in Dubai that enhances the safety, reliability, and convenience of mass transit in some of the world's most challenging and complex emerging markets. It is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the $1tn global mass transit market opportunity with daily commuting, inter-city retail travel, and TaaS transportation solutions. Swvl currently operates in 32 cities and 16 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. The differentiated proprietary technology stack features dynamic routing and pricing for both driver supply and customer demand; smart assignment technology that optimizes the driver experience.
With a track record of exponential growth, Swvl achieved annual gross revenue growth of 430% over the past four years (2017–2020). More than 1.4 million riders to date have booked nearly 50 million rides with thousands of drivers on Swvl's platform. TaaS offerings have grown gross revenue per client by 4x with ~115% net dollar retention over the past two years. Swvl has undergone rapid geographic expansion, including a launch into Europe through the recent acquisition of Shotl, an on-demand bus platform with more than 10% market share in Europe and over 350K bookings to date. Swvl recently entered into a business combination with Queen's Gambit Growth Capital. Implied, fully diluted equity value is $1.5bn, including an upsized PIPE of $100mn, of which $35.5mn has been pre-funded to accelerate the company's growth plans. Swvl is the first $1bn+ unicorn from the region to list on NASDAQ and the first mass transit solutions company on any exchange. The PIPE was led by strategic and financial investors including Agility, Luxor Capital & Zain.
Founded on strong ESG principles, Swvl advances social and economic equity while reducing congestion by an estimated 14.4 million person-hours. The platform has prevented approximately 245 million pounds of Co2 emissions since its inception.
About the Job
We’re looking for engineers who are excited about building systems to empower our fast-growing engineering team. This role will involve working on a new team focussed on developer experience. This team, which serves our entire engineering organisation, strives to make developers at Swvl more successful by constantly improving our development tools, processes and practices to help us create and deliver product improvements with as little friction as possible.
Come join our cross-functional team of passionate engineers dedicated to providing the best possible developer experience. We are looking to add someone who is ready to build and support the many and varied tooling that powers our test infrastructure offerings. Above all, your work will affect the way software is built, tested, and deployed at Swvl.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Empower developers to ship products faster by building an end-to-end development toolchain, including local development tools (debuggers, profilers, local testing, language and package management tools), code review tools, build, and CI.
- Collaborate across teams to understand developer workflows and pain points, gather requirements, and take a data-driven approach to improving their overall satisfaction with development.
- Make strategic investments to ensure our development processes and tools can scale during a period of hyper growth.
- Design new tools, shared infrastructure, and core abstractions for our codebase, optimizing for the developer experience, scalability, performance, reliability, and maintainability.
- Work across the entire stack, wherever we identify the biggest opportunities for return on investment.
- You are a seasoned developer productivity engineer or a skilled software engineering generalist with 5+ years of industry experience who is willing to learn new technologies and apply them in a fast changing environment.
- You are a full-stack engineer who has empathy for other developers, has a desire to constantly improve the codebase, and wants to enable others to do their job more effectively.
- You are passionate about software engineering best practices, including agile development, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting.
- You have experience in areas such as CI/CD, build systems, test infrastructure, performance measurement and optimization.
- You have experience working with Typescript, or the ability to adapt and learn quickly.
- You enjoy solving complex problems requiring close collaboration with other teams
- You have a strong sense of ownership, care about what you build, and build the right thing that serves your customers
- You operate as a generalist, working across many different technical domains, picking up skills as needed.
- You have a passion for enabling people to do their best work and a laser focus on the end-user experience
What We Offer
- Great opportunity to be part of a start-up with a lot of responsibility and independence early on and where you will have an impact on the entire business
- Attractive compensation package
- Access to Udemy for learning and development
Our Ways of Working
- Remote and sync work, work from anywhere in the world
- Product first mindset
- The best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better
Our Technology Stack
- For backend, we build in Node.js, go-lang, and typescript
- For the frontend, we build using Node.js and react
- For mobile, we use Swift and Kotlin
- We use AWS and GCP for cloud services
- We manage our infrastructure with Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Istio, Vault, Docker, ArgoCD and DataDog
- For persistence, we are mostly using MongoDB & SQL databases
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway. We are building a diverse and inclusive team.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Recruiting Coordinator jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Stock options-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs