Support Engineering Manager
Remote (United States or Canada)
As Support Engineering Manager at CircleCI, you will lead a team of Support Engineers and guide the extended team of Customer Engineering, Revenue, and Customer Success to deliver a world-class customer experience to CircleCI users and prospective customers.
We are looking for an energetic and performance-focused Support Engineering Manager. As the team's manager, you will enable the team to support our rapidly growing customer base. You will help the team answer customer questions efficiently and effectively. You will also improve existing processes to help the Support Engineering team scale. CircleCI takes pride in the fact that our Support Engineers are truly engineers, with deep technical skills, and an ability to resolve Tier 1, 2 and sometimes Tier 3 level issues for a very technical user base (developers). We are looking for candidates that embrace that model, and can help us attract and retain the unique mix of skills necessary to perform at this level.
This job will be performed remotely and will be leading a distributed team across North America.
About Support Engineering at CircleCI
Our Support Engineers have a strong understanding of the developer community and are able to confidently communicate with and provide first class support to developers, DevOps leads, architects and decision makers.
What you’ll do:
- Support the Support Engineering team by providing guidance on customer experience and approaches to solve specific challenges, be the point of escalation for the team, as well as represent their team's needs to Customer Engineering Leads and CircleCI leadership.
- Implement process improvements for consistency across the team.
- Strategic planning for growing the team to meet demand and support CircleCI premium support packages.
- Represent the Voice of the Customer to CircleCI’s Leadership teams. Help to identify recurring problems, and general trends of user dissatisfaction to drive upstream improvements.
- Partner with the Customer Success team to ensure alignment across Support and Success initiatives.
- Coach, develop, and mentor team members by providing constructive feedback, developing career plans and leveraging teaching opportunities.
- Collaborate closely with Product and Engineering teams to help influence product roadmap based on customer feedback, and to continue to build product knowledge and awareness within the support engineering team members
- Set, monitor, and drive success by establishing clear KPIs and OKRs.
- Maintaining high levels of transparency, efficiency, and collaboration in your team.
- Participate in launch of new products, documentation, and customer integrations to our internal teams and customer community.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years experience leading a rapidly growing Support team of 10+ people, preferably in a Saas environment.
- You have worked directly with customers in a technical support role, solving complex technical problems.
- You can tie business problems to technical solutions and understand technology value propositions.
- Demonstrated and proven capacity to quickly absorb new concepts and technologies.
- You believe that the best way for all to succeed is to honestly discuss product and company abilities and limitations with customers. We do not oversell at CircleCI.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst competing opportunities, balancing customer needs with business priorities and the ability to articulate the rationale behind those decisions.
- Strong use of analytics, user research and business cases to drive decisions and improve products.
- You are empathetic and able to gracefully handle stressful situations.
- Experience with build, test, and deployment automation
- You have spent a decent amount of time using and scripting *nix
- You know how to work with Git in general and ideally GitHub in particular
- You’ve thrown together an app or two in a high-level programming language
- Knowledge of Docker or Linux containers in general
- Experience with popular web app frameworks and/or mobile app development (iOS, Android)
- Experience using and automating a major IaaS like AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Familiarity deploying and debugging distributed systems
** Not all skills required. If you’re interested in growing with us, please reach out!
How to apply
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, Quora, Linkedin, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.