Software Engineer - Frontend
Remote - Anywhere
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a remote-first company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn't know you had, on topics you didn't know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, content contributors, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
About the Role:
Frontend engineers at Quora are champions of building an extraordinary user experience across our web and mobile platforms. We strive to build scalable, reliable, user-friendly, and highly personalized products for our 300 million+ monthly unique visitors on Quora.
As a frontend engineer, you'll work closely with fellow software engineers, product managers, data scientists and product designers to craft UI that scales well from day one. You'll serve as an expert specialist and mentor to your team, crafting reusable UI components on a modern tech stack (React, TypeScript, GraphQL).
- Develop complex web applications and reusable UI components with React and GraphQL
- Contribute to company-wide component library and other frontend abstractions
- Work on a product team focused on core product mechanics, Quora Spaces, growth, and/or user engagement
- Design and implement product features at massive scale with data-driven iteration
- Work with designers, product managers, fellow engineers, and data scientists to prototype and implement functionality and analyze impact
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's coordination hours (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 1+ years professional experience with React and TypeScript
- Ability to think holistically about a complex social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
- Professional experience with GraphQL
- Experience with automated UI testing tools like Puppeteer or Selenium
- Experience with frontend performance profiling and optimization
- Passion for experimentation and new ideas
- Love of learning and the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure