Senior Backend Engineer
Posted 1 month ago
We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join the App Engine team at Zapier. Want to create a simple product that allows anyone to do complex, incredible things with the world's APIs? Then keep reading!
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You love building new things. You’ll work on building a new version of our App Platform, the set of core services that enable us to interact with thousands of 3rd party APIs in a reliable and scalable manner. You're familiar with Python and backend frameworks such as Django, but have experience evolving larger systems to strategically use more performant languages and tools as required. Zapier is built on Python, Django, React, Node.js, and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Docker, Redis, Kubernetes, ArgoCD, and much more.
You have worked with teams before on large projects. You embrace service ownership by teams. You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers - we handle 100s of millions of API calls every week and are growing fast.
You love shipping to customers. You’ll be on a team focused on understanding customers' needs and translating those needs from specifications into functional, production-ready code. You'll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in “Don't be a Robot, Build the Robot.” We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You love to set your own course. You will have regular team meetings to directly impact what we work on next. You’ll have regular one-on-one meetings with your manager to help shape and drive your career growth plans.
Things You Might Do
- Directly impact how our customers can be more productive by building and supporting the foundational building blocks of Zapier.
- Redesign and build services that execute API calls to thousands of 3rd party APIs. REST, GraphQL, XML-RPC; we handle them all!
- Work with Amazon services like Lambda and MSK to build scalable solutions that process millions of requests.
- Operate and scale the systems you and your team build.
- Ship code to millions of users every week.
- Work with thousands of different API integrations.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats that rotate to various cities throughout North America.
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
We're currently hiring for the following timezones:
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.