Sr. User Researcher, Platform
Remote, United States
Posted 1 month ago
Slack is hiring a Senior User Researcher to work with our Platform team and help design the future of Slack apps. Just like Slack connects people, apps connect teams with all the tools they need to make their working lives simpler, more pleasant, and more productive. In this role you will lead research efforts partnering with cross functional teams in product, design, analytics, developer relations, business development and PMM. This role will involve working both with our end customers as well as the developers who are building on top of our platform.
The Research team seeks to improve product value throughout the entire customer experience by understanding the how and why of team workflows, communication processes and cultures. To do this, we provide research at every stage of the product development cycle, and as a researcher you are embedded in a product vertical alongside a team of designers, PMs, engineers and other cross-functional partners. In addition to conducting many different types of practical and impactful research, you are also passionate about helping to build and maintain the strong user-centered culture at Slack.
Our work ranges from formative to evaluative, with everything in between. We are looking to bring on a senior researcher who has excellent communication skills, passionate about technology, comfortable in a flat, dynamic organization, excited to collaborate, and focused squarely on impacting the design of Slack. You'll help us conduct best-in-class research in order to better deliver on Slack’s mission: to make your working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Gather and prioritize key questions from product, design, engineering, and developer relations teams.
- Plan and conduct practical, impactful research throughout the entire product cycle, to answer the questions posed above.
- Gather insights about customers and developers from a variety of research methods, including surveys, interviews, diary studies and usability studies.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative results and convey those insights to the appropriate people in the most engaging and actionable manner.
- Work closely with the product teams to help them use research insights to make Slack better.
- Work closely with other insights teams to tell a cohesive story about our Platform.
- Act as an internal evangelist for customer and product research.
What you should have
- 5+* years industry experience
- 3+* years platform research experience (desired but not required)
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience managing projects involving cross-functional teams
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Strong story-telling skills and an ability to frame insights into compelling narratives
- Familiarity with developing or using product / marketing frameworks to align cross-functional teams
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and perform a wide variety of research-related tasks, including recruiting participants
- Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or similar), or equivalent experience preferred
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.