Senior Software Engineer, Operations
As a luxury consignment company, almost everything we sell is unique and in different conditions. Every day we receive tens of thousands of items in our warehouses; This presents a unique set of challenges as every item we process must be treated individually.
Some of the optimization challenges associated with having unique items with unique conditions are that every item must be photograph, every item must have it's unique description and must be carefully priced based on condition. Along with these exciting challenges, we also have multiple warehouses, where we are figuring out how to optimize storage across multiple locations and optimize shipping when shipping from multiple warehouses.
The RealReal has the most rigorous authentication process in the marketplace. Employee Operations support 150+ brand authenticators, gemologists, and horologists who work in our authentication process.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- You'll build tools and technology for the unique challenges of luxury authentication and reverse logistics.
- You’ll create new and innovative systems, alongside streamlining and optimizing current processes.
- You’ll be exposed to the latest technology, a ubiquitous data-driven culture, and a team of dedicated individuals ready to collaborate.
- Build software tools for better reporting and telemetry on our warehouse processes.
- You’ll build algorithms and services to price and copywriting our items along with Data Science, so they require as little human adjustment as possible.
What You Bring To The Role
- 5+ Years experience in a Software Engineering role
- Strong understanding in building production-ready web applications and systems
- Fluency with any of Ruby, Elixir, Erlang
- Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools
- Mastery of git and Github workflows
- Bachelor of Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Experience working with machine learning or related technologies
- Experience building Operations and Logistics applications
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Kafka
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have 150+ in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by hundreds of brands, from Gucci to Cartier, supporting the circular economy. We make consigning effortless with free in-home pickup, drop-off service and direct shipping for individual consignors and estates. At our stores in LA, NYC and San Francisco, customers can shop, consign, and meet with our experts. At our 10 Luxury Consignment Offices, four of which are in our retail stores, our expert staff provides free valuations. Founded in 2011 and listed publicly in 2019 (Nasdaq: REAL), we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, and flexible work hours!
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.