Director of Engineering
New Context is a rapidly growing consulting company in the heart of downtown San Francisco. We specialize in Lean Security: a methodology to consistently apply DevSecOps strategies, leading organizations to build better, safer software through hands-on technical and management consulting. . We are a group of engineers who live and breathe Agile Infrastructure, Systems Automation, Cloud Orchestration, and Information & Application Security.
As Director of Engineering, you will lead the direction and development of Engineering Managers at New Context. By extension, you will play a pivotal role in the management and growth of our entire engineering team. This includes involvement in hiring efforts to scale the team in line with growth plans and ensuring that new team members reach full productivity quickly. You will consistently enable exceptional performance of team members and actively guide professional development. You will empower our engineers to continually have maximum positive impact, and be ultimately responsible for the outcomes the delivery.
You will also be responsible for planning, managing, and monitoring engineering functions across our consulting engagements, as well as overseeing various engineering projects, processes, budgets, and timelines and making any necessary adjustments in order to ensure successful completion
We foster a tight-knit, highly-supportive environment where there are no stupid questions. Even if you may not know the answer immediately, you'll have the entire company supporting you via Slack, Zoom, or in person. We have a strong remote culture, so you won't just be a name on an email.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the CTO and other Director of Engineering to help drive strategic plans for the New Context Engineering organization.
- Ensure the development and implementation of cost-effective solutions to satisfy current and future client requirements.
- Develop functional capabilities within the organization by driving innovation and continuous process improvement amongst Engineers at New Context.
- Cultivate successful business relationships with key internal partners and significant external clients/partners.
- Report on engineering performance; direct actions to continuously improve engineering management.
- Maintain project controls that accurately reflect completed work against project plans, schedules and budgets, and ensure successful fulfillment of appropriate milestones on client engagements.
- Prepare/review budgets for business plans and ensure maximum value is provided to the company.
- Maintain direct communications with senior and middle management.
- Coordinate allocation of staff to client work with the CTO and other Director of Engineering.
- Provide directional guidance to New Context’s technical and behavioral hiring process.
- Responsible for managing a small team of Engineering Managers, each with 3-4 direct reports.
- Create a work environment that is positive, motivated, enthusiastic, and embraces change.
- Develop and mentor staff through onboarding, open communication, training opportunities, and performance management processes.
- Build and maintain employee morale and motivation.
- Ensure the team is appropriately staffed with required companies.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- 5+ years of leadership experience growing, training, and running engineering teams for large, cross-functional projects. Past duties should include skill evaluations, providing reviews, raises, and promotions.
- 10+ years industry experience in DevOps, IT, Software Engineering, and/or Application Development positions, with demonstrable progression of authority and responsibility.
- Excellent communicator; able to explain intricate systems and logic to both technical and non-technical partners. Strong emotional intelligence, empathetic and a servant leader.
- Demonstrated experience fostering software teams' technical & soft skills through hands-on coaching & mentoring
- A strategic thinker, able to combine technical skills with overall business strategy and utilize creative problem solving.
- Experience engaging, influencing, and interfacing with upper management and external client stakeholders. Experience with long-term client relationship management is a plus.
- Passionate and demonstrated intellectual curiosity in the software and DevOps engineering space. Public contributions via blogging and/or conference presentations are a plus.
- Advanced level of software engineering acumen, both hands-on and strategic architecture/design.
- Deep knowledge of distributed computer architecture, cloud-based solution deployment, infrastructure-as-code, continuous integration, and continuous deployment.
- Previous hands-on experience with AWS, Docker, git, kubernetes and configuration management tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible and/or Salt.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degrees in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
Employment policies and decisions on employment and promotion are based on merit, qualifications, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job tags: Ansible AWS Business strategy Chef Cloud-based Coaching Cross-functional DevOps DevSecOps Docker Kubernetes Management Consulting Mentor Mentoring Puppet Security Training