Engineering Manager - Data Infrastructure
Swvl is a transformative tech-enabled mobility platform based in Dubai that enhances the safety, reliability, and convenience of mass transit in some of the world's most challenging and complex emerging markets. It is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the $1tn global mass transit market opportunity with daily commuting, inter-city retail travel, and TaaS transportation solutions. Swvl currently operates in 32 cities and 16 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. The differentiated proprietary technology stack features dynamic routing and pricing for both driver supply and customer demand; smart assignment technology that optimizes the driver experience.
With a track record of exponential growth, Swvl achieved annual gross revenue growth of 430% over the past four years (2017–2020). More than 1.4 million riders to date have booked nearly 50 million rides with thousands of drivers on Swvl's platform. TaaS offerings have grown gross revenue per client by 4x with ~115% net dollar retention over the past two years. Swvl has undergone rapid geographic expansion, including a launch into Europe through the recent acquisition of Shotl, an on-demand bus platform with more than 10% market share in Europe and over 350K bookings to date. Swvl recently entered into a business combination with Queen's Gambit Growth Capital. Implied, fully diluted equity value is $1.5bn, including an upsized PIPE of $100mn, of which $35.5mn has been pre-funded to accelerate the company's growth plans. Swvl is the first $1bn+ unicorn from the region to list on NASDAQ and the first mass transit solutions company on any exchange. The PIPE was led by strategic and financial investors including Agility, Luxor Capital & Zain.
Founded on strong ESG principles, Swvl advances social and economic equity while reducing congestion by an estimated 14.4 million person-hours. The platform has prevented approximately 245 million pounds of Co2 emissions since its inception.
About the Job
Data plays a critical role in understanding how our teams makes critical business decisions. As Engineering Manager for the Data Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for leading and growing the engineering team that builds the infrastructure which enables Swvl to be data driven organization.
The Data Infrastructure team’s area of ownership is broad in scope; it includes foundational abstractions for product instrumentation and experimentation, scaling our data warehouse and improving developer experience, and building tools that democratize the use of data for the whole business. The team works closely with Data Engineering, a separate team focused on building internal data products and data marts.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the team including day to day execution and long term planning. You will solicit new project ideas, prioritise them for impact, and drive execution.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture. Provide career guidance and performance feedback to all team members to ensure strategic impact and career progression.
- Own critical data infrastructure that enables data-based decision making at Swvl and ensure the team has the right process for monitoring, capacity planning and operations.
- Ensure that all engineers at Swvl have the right abstractions to successfully instrument new product features, conduct experiments, and integrate with the data warehouse.
- Define the strategy for how we will bridge the gap between our data warehouse and our serving system, and how we will unify batch and realtime data processing.
- Proactively look for ways to improve engineering at Swvl. This may include introducing new tools or technologies, making process improvements, leading or organizing training.
- Work with recruiting and engineering to source qualified engineering candidates, improve our interview process, and make great hires to continue scaling the team.
- You have deep knowledge of industry best practices for the design of data warehouses and analytics infrastructure.
- You understand the ecosystem of data technologies, including both batch and realtime systems, and can advocate for their use in our architecture.
- Experience in managing, organizing and prioritizing multiple projects and workstreams.
- You are passionate about building and operating services and have good knowledge of industry best practices in backend engineering.
- You are intellectually curious, excited to learn new skills and grow as a manager and as a leader.
- Experience in growing and mentoring engineers.
- Passionate about recruiting and growing diverse teams of engineers.
- 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager to Lead in a similar related role.
What We Offer
- Great opportunity to be part of a start-up with a lot of responsibility and independence early on and where you will have an impact on the entire business
- Attractive compensation package
- Access to Udemy for learning and development
Our Ways of Working
- Remote and sync work, work from anywhere in the world
- Product first mindset
- The best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better
Our Technology Stack
- For backend, we build in Node.js, go-lang, and typescript
- For the frontend, we build using Node.js and react
- For mobile, we use Swift and Kotlin
- We use AWS and GCP for cloud services
- We manage our infrastructure with Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Istio, Vault, Docker, ArgoCD and DataDog
- For persistence, we are mostly using MongoDB & SQL databases
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway. We are building a diverse and inclusive team.
Other jobs like this
Senior Data Analyst, Reporting & AnalyticsAnalytics APIs Consumer products Customer-facing Data-driven Data visualization ETL Excel NoSQL Project Management +4
Career development Health care Salary bonus Startup environment Wellness +1
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Recruiting Coordinator jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Stock options-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs