Engineering Manager - Observability
Swvl is a transformative tech-enabled mobility platform based in Dubai that enhances the safety, reliability, and convenience of mass transit in some of the world's most challenging and complex emerging markets. It is uniquely positioned to capitalize on the $1tn global mass transit market opportunity with daily commuting, inter-city retail travel, and TaaS transportation solutions. Swvl currently operates in 32 cities and 16 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. The differentiated proprietary technology stack features dynamic routing and pricing for both driver supply and customer demand; smart assignment technology that optimizes the driver experience.
With a track record of exponential growth, Swvl achieved annual gross revenue growth of 430% over the past four years (2017–2020). More than 1.4 million riders to date have booked nearly 50 million rides with thousands of drivers on Swvl's platform. TaaS offerings have grown gross revenue per client by 4x with ~115% net dollar retention over the past two years. Swvl has undergone rapid geographic expansion, including a launch into Europe through the recent acquisition of Shotl, an on-demand bus platform with more than 10% market share in Europe and over 350K bookings to date. Swvl recently entered into a business combination with Queen's Gambit Growth Capital. Implied, fully diluted equity value is $1.5bn, including an upsized PIPE of $100mn, of which $35.5mn has been pre-funded to accelerate the company's growth plans. Swvl is the first $1bn+ unicorn from the region to list on NASDAQ and the first mass transit solutions company on any exchange. The PIPE was led by strategic and financial investors including Agility, Luxor Capital & Zain.
Founded on strong ESG principles, Swvl advances social and economic equity while reducing congestion by an estimated 14.4 million person-hours. The platform has prevented approximately 245 million pounds of Co2 emissions since its inception.
About the Job
The Observability team at Swvl is responsible for the tools and infrastructure that engineers rely on to measure and monitor the performance and reliability of their services. Providing engineers with visibility and guidance is critical to Swvl’s continued focus on providing our customers with high quality services.
Observability is a newly formed effort, and we are seeking an Engineering Manager to lead and grow a team of talented engineers in running our tools, providing guidance to engineering and continuously making our observability tolls more robust and accessible.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead, manage, and grow a team of engineers that are in charge of all our Observability tools and infrastructure.
- Guide the team through solving complex infrastructure challenges.
- Build strong relationships with other engineering managers in Infrastructure and Product engineering. Partner with them to create and execute on a roadmap for Observability.
- Drive technical decisions and initiatives to streamline our Observability stack and make it simpler and easier for engineers to use.
- Promote a culture of resiliency, learning, scalability, and ownership through effective use of our tools.
- Passionate about monitoring, metrics, logging, tracing, and infrastructure.
- Strong customer focus.
- Experience in managing, organizing, and prioritizing multiple projects and work streams.
- Experience in growing and mentoring engineers.
- Passionate about recruiting and growing diverse teams of engineers.
- 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager in a similar or related role with Observability as a major focus area in previous experience.
What We Offer
- Great opportunity to be part of a start-up with a lot of responsibility and independence early on and where you will have an impact on the entire business
- Attractive compensation package
- Access to Udemy for learning and development
Our Ways of Working
- Remote and sync work, work from anywhere in the world
- Product first mindset
- The best idea wins; we’re all ears when it comes to ways to do things better
Our Technology Stack
- For backend, we build in Node.js, go-lang, and typescript
- For the frontend, we build using Node.js and react
- For mobile, we use Swift and Kotlin
- We use AWS and GCP for cloud services
- We manage our infrastructure with Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm, Istio, Vault, Docker, ArgoCD and DataDog
- For persistence, we are mostly using MongoDB & SQL databases
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway. We are building a diverse and inclusive team.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Solutions Architect jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiting Coordinator jobs
- Remote Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Project Manager jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Stock options-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs