Android Application Engineer
NYC, Remote (North America)
Stripe provides a powerful platform for business owners and entrepreneurs to get their company off the ground. The life of a startup founder is unpredictable, and the Stripe Dashboard app is a trusted tool that helps them deeply understand how their business is doing and perform daily operational tasks on the go. We’re looking for engineers with empathy for users and a deep understanding of the Android platform to help define the future of Stripe’s mobile apps.
Sample mobile projects:
- Add support for initiating payouts from the app
- Add support for creating and sending invoices directly from the app
- Add new notifications for users to understand how their business is doing in real-time
- Dream up unique mobile-first features to make it seamless to manage a business on Stripe
- Design, build, and maintain Stripe’s Android app in Kotlin
- Work with engineers on product teams across the company to develop new features for Stripe mobile users
- Collaborate with Android developers who work on the Stripe SDKs and Stripe Terminal to set best practices for Android development across the company
- Work with user research and product design to understand users and address their needs
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background, with 3+ years of experience in Android development. Ideally, you’re also comfortable outside Android, and have some experience with full-stack development.
- Have a desire and ability to empathize with the many different types of users who depend on Stripe’s mobile app
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
You should include these in your application:
- A description of your work history in the form of a resume or LinkedIn profile
- [optional] If you’ve published apps or worked on open source mobile projects in the past, please include a link and description
What’s it like to work at Stripe?Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world. Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business. We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues. We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups. We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source. We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do). We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions. In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
Job tags: Android API Cross-functional Full-stack Machine Learning Mobile Open Source Product design Research Stripe User research