Android SDK Engineer
San Francisco, Remote (North America)
Posted 5 months ago
Stripe was founded to make it easier for developers to accept payments. We’ve solved a small part of that problem, but our ambition is to go much further. For businesses, it’s still too hard to collect payments in every language, currency, payment method, and tax system. Mobile is an area of important investment for Stripe, and our mobile SDKs are one of the primary touch points for app-centric businesses that use Stripe. Companies like Doordash, Instacart, GOAT, and Kickstarter all use Stripe to power an incredible diversity of experiences in their Android apps. This role is critical, not only for the merchants that use Stripe for their mobile apps, but their users as well. We’re looking for engineers with a deep understanding of the Android platform to help define Stripe’s future role in mobile apps.
- Design, build and maintain Android SDKs in Kotlin.
- Work with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders across the company to bring new features and products to Stripe’s mobile SDKs.
- Collaborate with Android developers who work on the Stripe mobile apps and Stripe Terminal to set best practices for Android development across the company.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background, with 5+ years of experience in Android development. Ideally, you’ve had some experience building SDK products or contributing to open-source libraries, and appreciate the art of API design
- Listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great developer and consumer experiences
You should include these in your application:
- A description of your work history in the form of a resume or LinkedIn profile
- [optional] If you’ve published apps or worked on open source mobile projects in the past, please include a link and description
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world. Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business. We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues. We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups. We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source. We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do). We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions. In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.