Software Engineering Apprenticeship
Remote in U.S.
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Are you interested in creating the real-time transportation network of the future? Do you get excited about making cities feel smaller and bridging the transportation/tech gap to bring people together? At Lyft we are working on all these challenges and more - and that is the reason we need engineers from a breadth of disciplines. As we continue to grow our teams, we’re looking for individuals passionate about ridesharing, building products for millions of users, and delighting customers throughout their experience. We would love your help in continuing to craft the perfect ride.
Lyft’s Software Engineering Apprenticeship is an 8-month program designed to connect individuals who come from nontraditional professional backgrounds to opportunities within a growth-oriented environment at Lyft. Apprentices come from a variety of disciplines and contribute with software/code in addition to bringing unique perspectives that make them critical parts of our growing team. We believe the best products are built by diverse teams and want to give professionals with a diversity of experiences the tools to be our next production engineers.
- Invest in your own growth through extensive learning opportunities
- Leverage a robust support network dedicated to your success
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews, gaining knowledge from other engineers and spreading some of your own
- Contribute to the team’s roadmap and advocate for where you see the most impact
- Help us build the large-scale, distributed, highly-available, real-time transportation network of the future. Lyft engineers work on projects that will surprise and delight millions of amazing Lyft drivers and passengers.
For the first 4 months, you will be developing your software engineering skills through continued education and increasingly challenging projects while you receive comprehensive support. Working closely with your apprenticeship team, you’ll be tasked with building out the systems that our team works with every day. You’ll experience every aspect of building at Lyft - including gathering requirements, designing technical specs, executing, and building out monitoring to verify that the features are making the intended impact. Your day-to-day tasks will include formal or independent learning, participating in team standups, pair programming with other engineers, and working with teams as needed to ensure successful feature rollouts.
Over the course of the 8 months, apprentices will work on projects and learning while gradually increasing their scope over time. As an apprentice, you will be embedded in one of Lyft’s Growth engineering teams, using your experience to continue to build features for all of Lyft.
Upon successful completion of Lyft’s 8-month Apprenticeship Program, you will be eligible to join Lyft as a software engineer.
- Must be located within the United States and willing to adjust working hours to the PDT time zone.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience (in any industry)
- Experience working with a web application framework, knowledge of RESTful APIs
- Comfort with an object-oriented programming language
- Great oral and written communication skills
- A high capacity and eagerness to learn, a willingness to teach
- A positive attitude, natural desire to uplift your peers, diligence, perseverance, and a collaborative spirit
- Ability to demonstrate the technical proficiency to write a basic CRUD app and engage in a technical conversation about its functionality.
- Minimal or no previous employment experience in an engineering role
- For candidates with a CS degree from a four-year university or significant industry experience, consider one of our other roles at https://www.lyft.com/careers
- Bonus Points: Passion for sustainability and/or transportation
- Bonus Points: Experience with NoSQL Databases
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, apprentices receive paid time off and sick time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.