Remote (U.S. or Canada)
Posted 5 months ago
Phreesia is looking for a Payroll Manager to join our growing team!
The successful candidate will be a member of Phreesia’s Accounting team. This position will report to the VP, Controller and will manage the bi-monthly payroll process currently in Namely (U.S.) and ADP (Canada). This individual will be instrumental in the Workday payroll implementation for both US and Canadian payrolls.
The ideal candidate is an experienced payroll manager with a strong record of academic and professional achievements. Candidates must possess very strong knowledge of payroll rules and regulations, quarterly and annual payroll reporting requirements, handling of stock compensation taxation, analytical skills and Microsoft Excel. Candidates must have a very strong process orientation and enthusiasm for leveraging technology. The successful candidate must be high energy and capable of working and communicating with people across all levels in our organization. The position requires a person to be collaborative and possess a positive attitude and willingness to take on responsibilities to enhance their skill set and career path within the organization as needed. Additionally, the candidate requires the mindset and desire to “make a difference” every working day.
What You’ll Do:
- Responsible for the timely, accurate and complete processing of payroll on a bi-monthly basis
- Ensure that the Payroll team is operating within the specific guidelines in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley
- Work closely with Human Resources to develop best practices and alignment
- Ensure that all payroll journal entries are uploaded to the GL accounting system after each payroll processing
- Consistent communication with the CAO/Controller to ensure that all bonus/commission and one-time payments are processed within the required timelines
- Ensure the timely and proper recording and disbursing of tax payments to the applicable tax agencies after each payroll processing
- Consistent communication and handling of employee issues when needed
- Proper review and communication with human resources for all Visa employees to ensure required taxation based on Visa types
- Reconciliation of quarterly tax reporting as provided by payroll processor
- Responsible for the tax set-up of employees in the stock compensation system (Shareworks) to ensure correct withholdings for all employee restricted stock units, stock vesting and stock option exercises.
- Ensure that tax withholdings from Shareworks are reported timely via payroll processing and taxes are remitted to the relevant government revenue agencies.
- Reconciliation of quarterly Shareworks lapse events to payroll
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of Shareworks transactions to payroll data.
- Ensure that all 3rd party vendor transmissions are completed by respective payroll processor after each payroll
- Coordination and preparation of special projects when needed
- Ensure terminated employees are paid within the specific guidelines set forth by each state
- Manage year end W-2 creation, distribution and reporting
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business required
- Minimum of 6 to 10 years progressive related payroll management experience
- Experience working for a public company
- Prior experience processing employee stock compensation through third party administrator (e.g. Shareworks, E*Trade or other platform)
- Experience with non-US payroll (Canada preferred)
- Exposure to Sarbanes Oxley control testing and documentation
- Experience with multi-state and local tax rules and regulation for withholding and reporting
- Prior experience managing employees and working first-hand with human resources
- 401K/Safe Harbor working knowledge
- Cash reconciliation experience
- Experience with aggregate method tax withholding calculation
- Workday experience required
- CPP Certification
- Superior attention to detail and strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple, high priority projects
- Critical thinking along with analytic and problem solving skills
- Maintain strong internal controls and ensure proper segregation of duties
- Uphold extreme respect to confidential information position involves
- An aptitude to improve processes through automation and streamlining
Who We Are:
At Phreesia, we’re committed to helping healthcare organizations succeed in a fast-changing landscape—and we need smart, passionate people to help us do it. Our innovative SaaS platform offers our clients a suite of applications to manage the intake process, giving them the tools to engage patients, improve efficiency, optimize staffing and enhance clinical care.
Basically, what you do here matters, and hard work does not go unnoticed. Not only does Phreesia care about our clients, we also care about our employees. In fact, we’re a three-time winner of Modern Healthcare magazine’s Best Places to Work in Healthcare award. If you’re interested in consistent feedback and recognition, defined career paths, and the opportunity to work with driven and engaged colleagues in a dynamic industry, this may be the right opportunity for you.
Benefits and Perks:
- Variety of health plan options, dental/ vision coverage, and short/long-term and life insurance plans
- 401(k) savings plan (USA) or RRSP plan (Canada)
- Flexible working hours
- Unlimited vacation
- Mobile phone stipends and Internet reimbursement
- Fitness Reimbursement
- 100% paid maternity leave to our U.S. employees, as well as a generous maternity benefit to our employees in Canada.
- Tuition and certification reimbursement, as well as other professional development opportunities
We strive to provide a diverse and inclusive environment and are an equal opportunity employer.