Content Specialist, Spanish Translation
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Content Specialist, Spanish Translation.
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The Content Specialist, Spanish Translation supports the Production Services area at Great Minds, a rapidly growing non-profit organization developing world-class curricula for grades PK–12. At Great Minds, we believe every child is capable of greatness. Our mission is to ensure all students have access to a quality education in the full range of liberal arts and sciences.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to oversee and conduct Spanish translation of and quality control to various documents ensuring high quality, accuracy, and stylistic consistency of print and electronic formats. In addition to translation-related duties, the individual that holds this position will also provide support on English language projects within the organization as needed (e.g., proposals, presentations, website copy, marketing copy, curricula, etc.).
Although Great Minds is based in Washington, D.C., this position can be performed remotely. Working under the direction of the Manager, Spanish Content and Translation, this role’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage the day-to-day coordination and communications for all Spanish translation projects including work conducted by outside vendors and contractors.
- Assist Production Services leadership in the development of any needed Requests for Information, or Request for Proposals for designated Spanish translation projects.
- Collaborate with the vendors to determine project specifications and submission requirements.
- Establish and maintain a strong, professional working relationship with vendor representatives and freelance contractors.
- Assist vendor and freelancers in troubleshooting any issues that arise during the translation process.
- § Work directly with translation vendor, production services and project management team as necessary to work out any project related problems.
- Collaborate with the Team Lead to create and monitor schedules and make revisions as circumstances require.
- Prioritize project assignments each day to ensure that all projects are delivered on time to meet project deadlines.
- Identify project specific problems and develop options for potential solutions.
- Provide required input to Team Lead for new project requests to develop accurate project estimates.
- Ensure project templates and project-specific checklists are complete, accurate, timely and understandable, and updated as needed.
- Develop and maintain a Great Minds Spanish translation style guide and glossary ensuring products are consistent with the guideline requirements.
- Coordinate efforts with contracted Spanish translation freelancers.
- Field all Spanish translation project-related questions from team members.
- Ensure overall quality of all Spanish translation content with an emphasis on Spanish language accuracy, clarity, teachability, and consistency.
- Ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Conduct a final file check on all Spanish translation materials before delivery.
- Conduct a project debrief at the close of each project.
- Contribute to the development of improved workflow and processes.
Team Support and Training
- Help train new and existing employees on current and future initiatives, workflows, and technologies.
- Collaborate with Production Services Training Coordinator on the development and implementation of training plans, mentorship, and training strategies for translation skill sets.
Style and Standards
- Employ copyediting, proofreading, and cross-checking skills as needed
- Check spelling and stylization of documents using Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS), 16th Edition; Diccionario de la lengua española y Diccionario panhispánico de dudas, published by the Read Academia Española (RAE), and Great Minds related style guides; ensuring accuracy and consistency.
- Check curriculum organization against tables of contents to ensure correct ordering and page numbering.
- Maintain familiarity with the Great Minds style guides and ensure products are consistent with the guidelines.
- Format text, paragraphs, and documents in Word, InDesign, PowerPoint and other file types.
- Maintain skills and familiarity with the most current edition of MS Word, Adobe Creative Suite, SharePoint, OneDrive and other relevant document management and tracking programs.
- Experience working with both digital and print projects while understanding the differences and nuances between student and teacher materials
- Use Sites and other document management sites for appropriate projects.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner to resolve questions and to ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Complete projects to meet deadlines.
- Perform other tasks as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Spanish, Elementary or Secondary Education, Linguistics and/or Translation with a concentration in Spanish preferred
- Ability to read, write, and speak English and Spanish fluently
- Exceptional Spanish-language editing and proofreading skills
- Experience with translation of documents and/or proofing of translated documents in Spanish
- Experience with Mathematics or Science curriculum background as a teacher, writer, or translator.
- Minimum five years’ professional experience is required
- Minimum two years’ proofreading experience is a must
- Ability to be efficient and organized while working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience in copyediting, proofreading, and formatting in both English and Spanish
- Expert knowledge of and experience with CMOS style guidelines
In addition, the right candidate will possess the following “must have” attributes:
- Excellent Spanish and English writing skills including impeccable spelling and grammar
- Experience using Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools including assisting vendors and freelancers with CAT best practices
- Outstanding communication skills both in writing and speaking
- Detail oriented to the smallest degree but also able to see the big picture
- Maintain high-quality work and thrive in a deadline-driven, high-volume production environment
- Flexibility to easily switch between tasks and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Personable with the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure
- High degree of professionalism
- Exposure to working with or (preferably) within a remote team
- Desire to learn new skills and technologies and the acumen to suggest alternative work methods in the interest of saving time and resources
- A love for the Spanish language, translating, and ensuring delivery of the highest quality products
This role can be performed anywhere in the US with the exception of Colorado
A cover letter and resume are required to be considered for this position.
If selected for an interview, a salary history and background check will be required.
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
- Open Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Sales Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Open Support Engineer Jobs
- Open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open QA Engineer Jobs
- Open Project Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Open Program Manager Jobs
- Open Visual Designer Jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Open Principal Product Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Open Community Manager Jobs
- Open UX Designer Jobs
- Open Senior UX Designer Jobs
- Open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Open UX Researcher Jobs
- Open React-related remote jobs
- Open B2B-related remote jobs
- Open Data-driven-related remote jobs
- Open Coaching-related remote jobs
- Open Linux-related remote jobs
- Open UX-related remote jobs
- Open Backend-related remote jobs
- Open User Experience-related remote jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related remote jobs
- Open Integrations-related remote jobs
- Open Docker-related remote jobs
- Open CRM-related remote jobs
- Open Azure-related remote jobs
- Open HTML-related remote jobs
- Open Interpersonal skills-related remote jobs
- Open Mentoring-related remote jobs
- Open Entrepreneurial-related remote jobs
- Open Cloud-based-related remote jobs
- Open UI-related remote jobs
- Open Ruby-related remote jobs
- Open Customer-facing-related remote jobs
- Open CSS-related remote jobs
- Open HR-related remote jobs
- Open GitHub-related remote jobs
- Open Jira-related remote jobs