Senior Software Engineer (Data)
Remote - London, England, United Kingdom
We are Zego - a commercial motor insurance provider that powers opportunities for businesses, from entire fleets of vehicles to self-employed drivers and riders. We combine best-in-class technology with sophisticated data sources to offer insurance products that save businesses time and money.
Since our inception, we have believed that the problem with traditional insurance is that it holds businesses back. It’s too expensive and time consuming, and it no longer suits businesses who use vehicles to earn money. Our products represent a solution to this problem for businesses based across the UK, Europe and beyond.
So far, we have raised over $200 million in funding and we were the first UK insurtech to be valued at over $1 billion. We were also the first to be awarded our own insurance license and recently won Tech Company of the Year 2020.
At Zego, we are proud to say we have a diverse and inclusive team, unified by our shared values and mission. Our people are the most important part of our story and everybody at Zego, no matter their role, has an integral part to play.
We are looking for a Software Engineer with data processing experience to help us build a data platform with focus on stream processing to enable tiered data architecture.
At Zego the Data Engineering team is integral to our data platform, working closely with Software Engineers, Data Scientists and Data Analysts along with other areas of the business. We use a variety of internal and external tooling to maintain our data repositories. We are looking for people who have worked with streaming architecture and built interactive APIs over data streams, have a background in Scala, good software engineering and data infrastructure principles, spent time working with complex and fast growing datasets and are able to communicate well.
Our stack currently involves but is not limited to Airflow, Data Build Tool (DBT), a multitude of AWS services, Stitch and Fivetran. With change in direction, as a Senior Software Engineer and new addition to the team, you will have the opportunity to rebuild the data platform with a view to treat data as a first class entity. Participate in promoting emerging technologies where they can add value to the business and promote better ways of working.
It is an exciting time to join, and you’ll partner with world class engineers, analysts and product managers to help make Zego the best loved insurtech in the world.
About the role:
Over the next 12 months you will:
- Support our data scientists in the development and implementation of our ML models and experiments.
- Help evolve the architecture of our data ecosystem to support our long term vision by continuously iterating on our data infrastructure.
- Work with the data team and the rest of engineering to develop and implement a clear data strategy.
- Collaborate with product managers and across teams to bring new products and features to the market.
- Own data as a product, building a data platform focusing on data structure, quality, usage and efficiency.
- Build tailored data replication pipelines as our backend application is broken into microservices.
- Assist in developing and maintaining our ETL and ELT pipelines.
We are looking for somebody with a strong working knowledge of building data pipelines and the underlying infrastructure. You should have participated in the design of tiered data architectures, data lakes and followed best practices during implementation. You have worked with Data Analysts, Data Scientists and Software Engineers.
Practical knowledge of the following:
- Akka (streams, clustering)
- Having worked with a wide variety of AWS services
- Experience in using infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Terraform)
- Kubernetes (EKS)
Otherwise an interest in learning these, with the support of the team, is essential. We're looking for people with a commitment to building, nurturing, and iterating on an ever-evolving data ecosystem.
Other beneficial skills include:
- Implementation / Contribution to building a Data Lake or Data Mesh
- Data Warehousing (Redshift / Snowflake)
- SQL (We use DBT for modelling data in the warehouse)
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
- Open Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Sales Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Open Support Engineer Jobs
- Open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Open QA Engineer Jobs
- Open Project Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Program Manager Jobs
- Open Visual Designer Jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Open Principal Product Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Open UX Designer Jobs
- Open Senior UX Designer Jobs
- Open Community Manager Jobs
- Open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Open Content Writer Jobs
- Open UX Researcher Jobs
- Open React-related remote jobs
- Open B2B-related remote jobs
- Open Data-driven-related remote jobs
- Open Coaching-related remote jobs
- Open Linux-related remote jobs
- Open UX-related remote jobs
- Open Backend-related remote jobs
- Open User Experience-related remote jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related remote jobs
- Open Integrations-related remote jobs
- Open Docker-related remote jobs
- Open Azure-related remote jobs
- Open CRM-related remote jobs
- Open HTML-related remote jobs
- Open Interpersonal skills-related remote jobs
- Open Mentoring-related remote jobs
- Open Entrepreneurial-related remote jobs
- Open Cloud-based-related remote jobs
- Open UI-related remote jobs
- Open Ruby-related remote jobs
- Open Customer-facing-related remote jobs
- Open CSS-related remote jobs
- Open HR-related remote jobs
- Open GitHub-related remote jobs
- Open Jira-related remote jobs