Quality Management Associate
Great Minds, a rapidly growing challenger brand in the PK-12 instructional materials space, seeks an experienced Quality Management Associate .
Great Minds, a mission driven Public Benefit Corporation, brings teachers and scholars together to craft exemplary instructional materials that inspire joy in teaching and learning. Our English curriculum, Wit & Wisdom®, Eureka Math™ and PhD Science™, all support teachers as they take students beyond rote learning to provide a deeper, more complete understanding of the humanities, mathematics, and the sciences. Founded in 2007, Great Minds now employs more than 1,000 people.
For additional information please visit: www.greatminds.org
OUR MARKET POSITION
Great Minds’ Eureka Math is the most widely used curriculum in the history of American education. It enjoys an unrivaled 40+ net promoter score. Eureka and its sister products, Wit & Wisdom English and PhD Science, embrace much higher expectations for all students and all teachers. In a market dominated by scripted, procedural materials that drive expectations down, Great Minds produces curricula that celebrate knowledge, respect the craft of teaching, and acknowledge the true capabilities of students.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to oversee and conduct quality assurance to all products, ensuring high quality, content accuracy, and stylistic consistency of print and electronic formats. The individual that holds this position will also provide support on other various projects within the organization as needed.
Although Great Minds is based in Washington, D.C., this position can be performed remotely. Working under the direction of the Quality Management Team Lead and the Publishing Control Manager, this role’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Style and Standards
- Employ proofreading, and formatting skills as needed.
- Ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Compare all original materials, marked up by copyedit, and writers, with the final product to ensure all revisions are correctly implemented.
- Employ copyediting, proofreading, and cross-checking skills as needed.
- Check organization against tables of contents to ensure correct ordering and page numbering.
- Maintain familiarity with the Great Minds style guides and ensure products are consistent with the guidelines and style standards.
- Format text, paragraphs, and documents in Word, Excel, PPT, InDesign, and other file types including:
- apply styles and document-wide settings
- work with templates
- create/modify tables and columns
- insert and format images
- insert/format different headers and footers within the same document
- format page numbering
- troubleshoot basic formatting issues
- convert Word to InCopy; link InCopy into InDesign
- manage intake and delivery of files
- perform other tasks related to document management as directed
- Create and apply styles for paragraphs, characters, objects, tables, and cells. Editing parameters such as font, size, style, spacing before and after, hanging indents, lists, shading, rules, object/table/cell properties.
- Create color. Edit/apply color swatches. Adjust color mode.
- Identify linked versus embedded images and identify image specifications like resolution and color mode.
- Place images in-line as well as in frames outside of text. Adjust the in-line positioning and text wrap.
- Make simple manipulations to transform images (rotate, scale, etc.)
- Add pages, identify and apply master pages to specific pages in a document.
- Set page orientation, margins, columns, bleeds, and layers, successfully thread text frame to frame, correct overset text and load master pages & styles. Use preview mode.
- Work in Story mode to modify text across text frames or edit XML data.
- Adjust text features such as kerning, tracking, and leading. Use alternate characters, glyphs, and conditional text.
- Create nested and GREP styles with Wildcards/Regex.
- Add/delete anchors and use anchor handles to transform shapes.
- Use InCopy to tag content, apply style and manage multi-story files, use and apply conditional text
- Link InDesign to InCopy files, check in/out files, and correctly use Assignments for writers/editors.
- Link InDesign to InDesign files.
- Use the Book feature to compile a series of InDesign documents. Export the book into desired output format.
- Properly set the transparency blend space and output color profile according to specifications.
- Import/export XML. Recognize XML elements, attributes, tags. Add, move, edit, delete XML elements. Manage XML using the Structure pane and tag/style mapping. (Bonus points for DTD knowledge and ability to use one in InDesign.)
- Use MathType to edit equations and save as EPS files.
- Use Photoshop to resize image, canvas, and content. Adjust color mode.
- Use Acrobat to move pages, add or remove pages, split pdf documents, and create watermarks.
- Maintain skills and familiarity with the most current edition of MS Word, Adobe Creative Cloud, SharePoint, and other relevant management/tracking and document management programs.
- Use Sites and other document management sites for appropriate projects.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner to resolve questions and to ensure that errors are properly corrected.
- Complete projects to meet deadlines.
- Perform other tasks as directed.
- BA degree in English, Journalism, or related field preferred
- Minimum five years of professional experience
- Minimum three years of proofreading experience
- Experience in copyediting, proofreading, and formatting required
- Expert knowledge of and experience with CMOS style guidelines
- MUST have InDesign experience.
- 3+ years’ experience with layout and formatting, using Adobe Creative Cloud—particularly Acrobat, InDesign, InCopy, and Photoshop required
- 3+ years of related experience in publishing with a focus on project management highly desired
- K–12 mathematics, English language arts, science curriculum background and/or publishing experience a plus
In addition, the right candidate will possess the following “must have” attributes:
- Excellent writing skills including impeccable spelling and grammar
- Outstanding communication skills both in writing and speaking
- Detail oriented to the smallest degree but also able to see the big picture
- Maintain high-quality work and thrive in a deadline-driven, high-volume production environment
- Flexibility to easily switch between tasks and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Personable with the ability to maintain a sense of humor under pressure
- High degree of professionalism
- Exposure to working with or (preferably) within a remote team
- Desire to learn new skills and technologies and the acumen to suggest alternative work methods in the interest of saving time and resources
- A passion for producing at the highest levels of quality
All candidates will be required to complete a vetting task using InDesign.
- Pay based on experience
This role can be performed anywhere in the US with the exception of Colorado
Great Minds is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the organization’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
- Open Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Sales Engineer Jobs
- Open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Open Support Engineer Jobs
- Open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open QA Engineer Jobs
- Open Project Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Open Program Manager Jobs
- Open Visual Designer Jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Open Principal Product Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Open Community Manager Jobs
- Open UX Designer Jobs
- Open Senior UX Designer Jobs
- Open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Open UX Researcher Jobs
- Open React-related remote jobs
- Open B2B-related remote jobs
- Open Data-driven-related remote jobs
- Open Coaching-related remote jobs
- Open Linux-related remote jobs
- Open UX-related remote jobs
- Open Backend-related remote jobs
- Open User Experience-related remote jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related remote jobs
- Open Integrations-related remote jobs
- Open Docker-related remote jobs
- Open CRM-related remote jobs
- Open Azure-related remote jobs
- Open HTML-related remote jobs
- Open Interpersonal skills-related remote jobs
- Open Mentoring-related remote jobs
- Open Entrepreneurial-related remote jobs
- Open Cloud-based-related remote jobs
- Open UI-related remote jobs
- Open Ruby-related remote jobs
- Open Customer-facing-related remote jobs
- Open CSS-related remote jobs
- Open HR-related remote jobs
- Open GitHub-related remote jobs
- Open Jira-related remote jobs