Head of Delivery Operations
Posted 1 month ago
Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, and Bangladesh saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
One of Sendwave’s core value propositions is instant, 24/7 money transfer service. The Delivery Team owns the increasingly complex processes and integrations needed to uphold that promise. This team manages the entire life cycle of a transaction from the moment we charge a user’s debit card to the moment a transfer is deposited in a recipient’s mobile wallet or bank account. Together with the Delivery Product Manager and Delivery Engineering Lead, the Head of Delivery Operations will work to ensure that the transactions our users send are charged and delivered as rapidly, reliably and cost-effectively as possible. This team upholds our commitment to bringing down service if we cannot provide instant transfers, and to ensuring we work to rapidly restore quick service. They also are responsible for maximizing user experience around delivery issues, which includes quickly triaging transactions and keeping users informed of their transactions’ statuses.
The Head of Delivery Operations will develop and run the internal and external operational processes needed to achieve this team’s mission. In this role, you’ll
- Own Sendwave’s relationships with our payment and delivery processors, maintain a deep understanding of their operations and collaborate with their teams as you advocate for service improvement initiatives and respond to major incidents.
- Build and maintain the analytics needed to monitor and surface issues with our delivery routes.
- Work closely with the engineering and product management teams to diagnose and address root problems with partners’ systems as you push forward the deliverables needed.
- Manage the internal response to delivery incidents, which will include growing a first-line transaction triage team.
- Launch new partner integrations and align with teams across the organization, such as Finance and Business Development, to ensure they run smoothly .
- Collaborate with our Customer Service and Growth teams to strategize and execute on opportunities for improving user experience around transaction-related issues.
You might be a good fit if
- You enjoy building relationships and have a successful track record of productive relationships with external and internal parties. You are highly organized and have a proven ability to engage with a broad variety of stakeholders.
- You are comfortable with performing complex data analysis and presenting your findings in a robust, straightforward manner.
- You seek to automate and streamline processes as much as possible
- You challenge the status quo and don’t stop asking “why” until you understand the root causes of issues.
- You are a highly logical, analytical, and innovative thinker. You can quickly process and react to new circumstances in high-pressure situations while pushing for a desired outcome
- You are motivated to give our users the best possible experience
- Have built and/or scaled an operations team
- You probably have 5+ years of operations scaling and management experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You have a strong data analysis background, including experience with Excel and SQL.
- You have third-party relationship management experience.
- You are a self-motivated and get things done with demonstrated effectiveness, working in ambiguous, fast-paced, and quickly changing contexts.
- You have strong written and communication skills.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel four weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition, you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in-person with our delivery partners worldwide.
Bonus points if you
- You have experience building, developing and leading a payments operations team.
- Are an expert with Excel and SQL
- Have experience managing partners or relationships in the fintech space
- This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Operations
- Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Recently we’ve been to Miami Beach (Florida) and Estes Park (Colorado).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.