Software Engineer II, Android (Investment Products)
Irvine, CA (Option to be remote)
At Acorns, we're building a financial wellness system that enables everyday Americans to save and invest every day. We are transforming the category and recruiting a team that is relentless at fulfilling our mission. The Acorns team comes together every day to deliver a revolutionary product to its customers, the up-and-coming. If you thrive in an environment where you can push yourself beyond all previous thresholds of possibility, come join us at Acorns.
Acorns is seeking a talented Android Engineer for our Investment Products team. We are looking for someone passionate about Android, Java, and Kotlin, with a background building rich, scalable software; someone who thrives solving complex engineering problems with simple, elegant solutions.
As an Android developer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as iOS, frontend, backend, and QA to plan and build out new features and infrastructure to create reliable and cohesive financial products. You will primarily work in Kotlin and Java.
You will be joining a highly autonomous and passionate engineering team that promotes a customer first, result driven and collaborative culture. You’ll have the opportunity to further shape and build a strong engineering culture, adopt efficient and practical PRD processes and collaborate with our talented design, product, education and marketing teams to drive growth for our business.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all technologies listed. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Deliver your first PR and/or feature contribution as you learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Improve Android codebase by developing a performant and maintainable Android application.
- Elevate the Android application architecture to increase developer velocity and drive growth through Acorns’ mobile applications.
- Provide insight into Android application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable Android abstractions; Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS in Computer Science or 5+ years of professional software experience
- 3-5 years experience developing native Android applications
- Have at least one app published in the Google Play Store that you built yourself or contributed to
- Knowledge of the Android SDK performance tools and optimization techniques.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Java, Go, Scala
- Experience working as part of an agile software development team including interaction with a source code repository (GitHub or SVN)
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects with demanding deadlines in a team environment
- Continuous integration considered a plus
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
Explore more Remote work and WFH career opportunities
- Open Sales Engineer Jobs
- Open Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Support Engineer Jobs
- Open Project Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Open Customer Support Specialist Jobs
- Open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Visual Designer Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open QA Engineer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Open Principal Product Manager Jobs
- Open UX Researcher Jobs
- Open UX Designer Jobs
- Open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Open Program Manager Jobs
- Open Community Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Open Account Executive Jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open React-related jobs
- Open B2B-related jobs
- Open Data-driven-related jobs
- Open Coaching-related jobs
- Open Customer service-related jobs
- Open UX-related jobs
- Open Backend-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open User Experience-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Integrations-related jobs
- Open AI-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open HTML-related jobs
- Open CRM-related jobs
- Open Mentoring-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open UI-related jobs
- Open Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Open Cloud-based-related jobs
- Open CSS-related jobs
- Open Customer-facing-related jobs
- Open HR-related jobs
- Open Distributed systems-related jobs