Director of Product Design, ICA - Shop, Inspiration & Dependability
San Francisco, CA - Remote
We're transforming the grocery industry
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Since 2012, we’ve been working towards creating a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together.
Groceries delivered to your door in as little as an hour. It seems simple, right? Well, it’s more complex than that. From re-routing deliveries during snowstorms, to connecting customers with coupons and deals for their favorite brands, to updating over half a billion grocery data lines every night...our efforts bring Instacart closer to being the operating system for the grocery industry.
Solving these problems is what helps our customers get back time in their day, so they can do more of what they love.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale opportunities that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
The Instacart App design team focuses on designing, building & landing multi-platform product experiences that make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. The team crafts solutions for large-scale challenges that will change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones. Our product designers partner cross-functionally to deliver shopping experiences for our core teams like Shop, Inspiration, Dependability, Value, Growth & Express.
ABOUT THE JOB
We’re looking for a product design leader who will shape the product experience for our Consumers, while maintaining balance in the whole four-sided marketplace ecosystem. As a Director, you will work closely with the VPs of Product and Engineering for the Instacart App team to define product strategy and vision, while growing and supporting a team of product designers and managers focused on building high-quality, meaningful user experiences.
The role is responsible for design across the Instacart App areas of Shop, Inspiration and Dependability (Android and iOS), helping ensure the ease of the entire consumer shopping journey. This is currently a team of 14 designers and 2 managers (expecting to add ~7 more designers and 1 more manager in 2021).
We need someone who knows what it means to uphold a high craft bar in a fast-paced, ever-evolving technology startup. You know what it takes to keep a team inspired and motivated in their work, and able to see how their unique contributions connect to the bigger picture – the company, and beyond to our end users. You know that our success hinges upon the success of the team, and you’re passionate and proactive about encouraging them, coaching them, and offering constructive feedback.
- 15+ total years of overall design experience, with a substantial portion in product design
- 6+ years of people management experience – including managing managers for multiple years and teams of 12 of more
- A track record of attracting world-class senior talent and creating high-performing teams
- Ability to thrive and effectively communicate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Deep understanding of product-building functions including engineering, analytics, content strategy, and research
- You demonstrate a human-centered approach to design that’s inquisitive, strategic, and empathetic
- You lead with clarity and vision, and you can motivate others to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged
- Reliable self-starter who can provide direction to teams and designers at a 40,000 ft. level and at a pixel-level (whichever is most needed in the moment)
- Track record of influencing product and engineering functions to keep user problems top-of-mind and invest in holistic, future-friendly solutions
- Operationally effective at identifying root causes and then creating and executing well-scoped solutions to address team process, health, or retention issues
Explore more Remote work and WFH career opportunities
- Open Recruiter Jobs
- Open Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open Support Engineer Jobs
- Open Project Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Open Customer Support Specialist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open QA Engineer Jobs
- Open Visual Designer Jobs
- Open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Open Principal Product Manager Jobs
- Open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Open UX Researcher Jobs
- Open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Open Community Manager Jobs
- Open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Open Account Executive Jobs
- Open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Open UX Designer Jobs
- Open Program Manager Jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open React-related jobs
- Open B2B-related jobs
- Open Data-driven-related jobs
- Open Coaching-related jobs
- Open Customer service-related jobs
- Open UX-related jobs
- Open Backend-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open User Experience-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Integrations-related jobs
- Open AI-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open HTML-related jobs
- Open CRM-related jobs
- Open Mentoring-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open UI-related jobs
- Open Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Open Cloud-based-related jobs
- Open CSS-related jobs
- Open Customer-facing-related jobs
- Open Distributed systems-related jobs
- Open HR-related jobs