Engineering Manager, Desktop Runtime
Remote, United States
Slack is looking for a leader to join our Desktop Runtime team within Slack's Client Infrastructure organization. This team is responsible for maintaining the runtime underneath Slack's desktop apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux. The runtime is called Electron, open-source, and one of the most popular cross-platform development technologies. In addition to Slack, it also powers Visual Studio Code, Figma, Twitch, and hundreds of other popular applications. Our software, built with C++ and TypeScript, runs on billions of devices every day. The main responsibility of this person will be to meet regularly with engineers and stake holders in order to gather feedback on topics ranging from project progress, internal processes, to general satisfaction. They’ll plan in quarters, and help set the team vision for the next few years. Desktop Runtime works closely with other maintainers in the Electron organization and will frequently meet with stake holders at other organizations trying to move the desktop platform forward - be that operating system developers or the engineers behind other popular desktop apps. The Desktop Runtime team has the unique responsibility of maintaining one of the most popular open source frameworks out there while also helping Slack built the best possible version of its apps.
What you will be doing
- Support the team in planning the development road map, prioritizing internal and external feature request and bug reports, and creating estimates.
- Represent the team in planning and product meetings, both internally at Slack as well as externally with other Electron maintainers and operating system developers.
- Meet with the rest of the engineering management team to align engineering-wide priorities.
- Represent Slack engineering and management at industry events.
What you should have
- Hands-on experience working in an open source project, involving multiple stake holders in multiple organizations.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience. A successful manager in this role should be able to understand and explain technical trade-offs and complexities inside Electron to other engineering teams, frontend developers, and customers.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
Job tags: Figma Linux MacOS Open Source Training TypeScript Windows
Job region(s): North America
Job stats: 3 0 0
More Remote work and WFH position highlights
- Explore open Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Support Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Explore open Visual Designer Jobs
- Explore open Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open QA Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Account Executive Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect Jobs
- Explore open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Explore open Marketing Operations Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open Community Manager Jobs
- Explore open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Customer Support Specialist Jobs
- Explore open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Explore open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Front End Engineer Jobs
- Explore open React-related jobs
- Explore open Competitive salary-related jobs
- Explore open Data-driven-related jobs
- Explore open Coaching-related jobs
- Explore open Backend-related jobs
- Explore open B2B-related jobs
- Explore open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Explore open Customer service-related jobs
- Explore open UX-related jobs
- Explore open User Experience-related jobs
- Explore open Docker-related jobs
- Explore open Azure-related jobs
- Explore open AI-related jobs
- Explore open HTML-related jobs
- Explore open Integrations-related jobs
- Explore open CRM-related jobs
- Explore open Mentoring-related jobs
- Explore open Ruby-related jobs
- Explore open UI-related jobs
- Explore open Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Explore open Distributed systems-related jobs
- Explore open Cloud-based-related jobs
- Explore open CSS-related jobs
- Explore open CI/CD-related jobs
- Explore open HR-related jobs