Senior Manager, Program Management - People
Remote, United States
Posted 1 month ago
Slack is looking for an exceptional Program Manager to join our growing PMO and support the People and Places team (People Operations, Recruiting, Rewards, Communications and Workplace) driving high-impact, cross-functional programs. We are focused on building new capabilities and driving operational excellence in every part of our business and need a new team member who is passionate about partnering across the company to plan and execute our most high-impact projects. Reporting to the Head of Business Program Management, you’ll manage and mentor a small team of program managers who are supporting the People and Places team.
Slack has a positive, diverse and supportive culture. We look for people who are curious, enjoy finding solutions to ambiguous challenges, and love leading teams towards a common goal -- especially while using their strong communications and project management skills to outline the road ahead. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative.
Most importantly, we’re looking for someone who has a true passion for project and program management -- the type of person who is happiest when acting as a thought partner to a colleague to shape an idea into a project, that gets excited to define that project with project plans, requirements documents, and that keeps the team moving in a project channel in Slack.
Do you want to change the way the world works, starting at Slack? Then read on for more details and submit your application.
What you will be doing
- Develop and support a small team, focusing on skill refinement, effectiveness in role, and ensuring a proper coverage model for projects supporting the portfolio including delegating work while personally managing business critical projects
- Act as a trusted thought partner to business partners, advising them on the impacts of the work they’re considering and helping them to turn ideas into projects
- Partner with the business to manage the overall portfolio of work, facilitating prioritization and staffing
- Own planning and execution of high-impact projects within the People and Places organization by balancing team expectations, business needs, and resources to ensure correct prioritization of work
- Independently drive alignment and coordinate work across teams of employees working in Legal, Finance, Accounting, People and Places, Design, Business Technology and more
- Partner with the business to identify requirements and dependencies that are reflected in the types of project plans that people actually use
- Identify work efforts, milestones, and dependencies across portfolios of work and recommend opportunities to do the work better, faster and with greater impact
- Estimate scope and levels of effort, define milestones, track progress and manage resources accordingly for self and team
- Communicate to project team members, department leaders and executives, keeping them informed and engaged and enabling them to do their best work
- Listen and learn from business partners, understanding how people and departments best communicate and integrating with the way they work
- Proactively work to remove obstacles and enable forward momentum and progress on projects -- seeing around corners is an everyday part of the job
- Build alignment among key project stakeholders and escalate key decisions as required
What you should have
- 7-10 years of experience leading complex projects as a program manager, consultant, or in a similar role focused on People and Places programs
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Strong communication skills with the ability to synthesize complex information in order to align stakeholders from individual contributors to executives
- Deep understanding of project management tools, from Smartsheet to Lucid Chart -- and an appreciation for when to use what tools
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth, often ambiguous environment
- Passion for context switching that enables you to work on multiple projects spanning different global cross-functional teams
- BA/BS degree
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.