Manager, Developer Advocacy (Engineering)
Come work within the Technology department as part of the Technical Engagement group at the Wikimedia Foundation! We are looking for an experienced manager who has led engineering and multi-functional teams in technology to support our Developer Advocacy team.
The Wikimedia Foundation is passionate about making it easier for people to contribute to the numerous FLOSS projects that the Wikimedia movement relies upon to power their wikis. To support this, the Developer Advocacy team produces code, tutorials and technical documentation, administers Wikimedia’s technical blog, runs initiatives to grow technical skills and capacity, conducts technical workshops and hackathons jointly with our community, provides technical support and bug management, coordinates Wikimedia’s participation in Open Source internship and outreach programs, and contributes to a culture of fun and appreciation.
We work in partnership with other teams and volunteer communities who interact with our technology and data, enhance the software experience and fill in workflow gaps for Wikipedia, Wikidata, and other free knowledge projects. Our globally distributed team works remotely and so can you!
As the Developer Advocacy Manager we’d like you to do these things:
- Lead a multi-functional team spanning developer advocacy and community building, software development, technical documentation and storytelling, technical project and event management
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement
- Coach team members to be effective at achieving their goals, and support them in developing their career paths
- Partner with Recruiting to hire new team members
- Collaboratively draft and execute the team’s goals including defining metrics to measure impact
- Project manage new and existing initiatives
- Talk with teams and community volunteers to obtain an in-depth understanding of needs and requirements of technical contributors
- Foster technical contributions jointly with your team and in collaboration with other teams, communities, and individuals
- Share our values, respect our code of conduct, adhere to our team norms, and work in accordance with all three
Experience we’d like you to bring to the table:
- Demonstrable experience managing geographically distributed teams
- Senior level engineering mindset and ability to explain complex technical concepts to technical and non technical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, with track record of modeling good social and development practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- History of producing documentation, sample code, and presentations for one or more products
- Willing and able to travel several times a year for occasional in-person meetings, once it is safe to do so
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or the equivalent in related work experience
And it would be even more awesome if you have any experience with any of these:
- Experience working with large scale web software systems
- Proficiency in languages other than English
- Experience managing or working as part of a Product Engineering Team
Show us your work, we love to see links to documentation, presentations, and other relevant projects!
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
More Remote work and WFH position highlights
- Explore open Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Senior Product Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Support Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Technical Program Manager Jobs
- Explore open Senior Technical Recruiter Jobs
- Explore open Site Reliability Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Visual Designer Jobs
- Explore open Senior Customer Success Manager Jobs
- Explore open Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open Senior Data Analyst Jobs
- Explore open Account Executive Jobs
- Explore open QA Engineer Jobs
- Explore open Solutions Architect Jobs
- Explore open Community Manager Jobs
- Explore open Technical Project Manager Jobs
- Explore open Marketing Operations Manager Jobs
- Explore open Clinical Data Manager Jobs
- Explore open Strategic Account Manager Jobs
- Explore open Customer Support Specialist Jobs
- Explore open Back End Java Developer Jobs
- Explore open Content Marketing Manager Jobs
- Explore open Front End Engineer Jobs
- Explore open React-related jobs
- Explore open Competitive salary-related jobs
- Explore open Data-driven-related jobs
- Explore open Coaching-related jobs
- Explore open Backend-related jobs
- Explore open B2B-related jobs
- Explore open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Explore open Customer service-related jobs
- Explore open UX-related jobs
- Explore open User Experience-related jobs
- Explore open Docker-related jobs
- Explore open Azure-related jobs
- Explore open AI-related jobs
- Explore open HTML-related jobs
- Explore open Integrations-related jobs
- Explore open CRM-related jobs
- Explore open Mentoring-related jobs
- Explore open Ruby-related jobs
- Explore open UI-related jobs
- Explore open Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Explore open Distributed systems-related jobs
- Explore open Cloud-based-related jobs
- Explore open CSS-related jobs
- Explore open CI/CD-related jobs
- Explore open HR-related jobs