Senior Software Engineer - Data Processing
What we do in the Processing Org:Our mission is to empower our customers to ensure the right customer data reaches the right destinations through a transparent, debuggable pipeline they trust.
- Build best-in-class controls to achieve data quality, consistency, transformation and privacy
- Provide our customers detailed insight into how their data flows through Segment’s systems
- Operate systems like Kafka and Clickhouse at massive scale to process, validate, and account for every event received by Segment
- Architecting our systems to run in multiple AWS regions throughout the world.
- Designing and building a new observability platform to make data flow through Segment transparent to our customers and to enable them to debug problems on their own.
- Up-leveling our data governance product (Protocols) for enterprise-scale workflows
Who we are looking for:
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment.
- You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You love designing and shipping new products as much as iterating on existing ones.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously.
- You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
- 5+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language.
- Strong theoretical fundamentals and hands-on experience designing and implementing highly available and performant fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Well-versed in concurrent programming.
- Exposure to SDLC from reviewing requirements through to debugging complex systems in Production.
- You show evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Experience maintaining and operating always-on cloud services.
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing distributed systems at global scale.
Glimpse of what we do @ Segment Engineering:
- We try to deeply understand how the most technical aspects of our infrastructure and product impact the success of Segment.
- We think deeply about building the right products.
- Read about how Collin built Ctlstore that serves 100µs reads with 100% availability, and then we open sourced it.
- Ray gave a talk about eBPF (video) for performance analysis and how we use it.
- Alex and team ditched microservices in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture.
- Dive in with the team to optimize mission-critical services written in Go and Node.
- Checkout an efficient encoder/decoder package for various data formats built by Achille.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Tier 4 base salary range: Developing Minimum - Premium Mid
Rest of Colorado:
Tier 5 base salary range: Developing Minimum - Premium Mid
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks