Development Team Lead
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impactYou are a leader at the intersection of product and engineering management; support and help to drive the development of a suite of products that are crucial for Xero’s continued success here in the UK.
You’ll maintain an environment in which your team can do their best work predictably and sustainably, ensuring the team has all the information they need and the right feedback loops in place to discover and deliver valuable, usable, and buildable outcomes.
You’ll help your team learn and improve, making local discoveries global. You’ll look after the health of your team and their products, aiming for resilience, which as a truly remote team is of the utmost importance.
What you’ll do
- Drive a culture of engagement and improvement, making sure the team understands how they help our customers and our business achieve great outcomes.
- Talk with all appropriate areas of the organisation to understand the inputs, outputs, and feedback loops in your team’s value stream.
- Make sure your team understands and adheres to modern engineering practice in line with organisation objectives.
- Build and maintain a positive and constructive relationship with the product owner to ensure the delivery pipeline is flowing at a predictable and sustainable pace, raising and addressing blockers as appropriate.
- Ensure the health of all the team’s products is well understood by the team, discoverable by the wider organisation, and able to be addressed should problems occur.
- Ensure the health of your team is monitored, that all members of your team are empowered to raise ideas and concerns, and that everyone contributes to improvements in how the team works together.
- Ensure that your own stream of work is sustainable, delegating where appropriate, and asking peers and your manager for help.
- Spend a proportion of your time improving your knowledge and skills in line with goals set with your manager.
- Meet regularly with your reports, drive each of your people to become the highest performing version of themselves they can be, using a variety of techniques which may include performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Spend a proportion of your time on people-focused tasks, including recruitment, leave and expense approvals and management.
- As needed, review and manage performance, remuneration and facilitate any remedial actions.
Success looks like
- Your team builds products that customers love and which achieve the intended business outcomes.
- Your team is highly engaged – everyone has a strong sense of purpose and feel they’re contributing to making a positive difference in the world.
- You and your team maintain a predictable and sustainable delivery pace, reflect on practices and delivery, and constantly try to make improvements.
- Your reports grow in their responsibilities, capabilities, and contribution to their team and wider in the organisation
What you’ll bring with you
- Experience of leading and managing a software development team is essential
- Background in software development within .Net framework is highly advantageous
- Experience of developing Cloud or SaaS software would be beneficial
- Understanding of modern software delivery practices
- Understanding of modern product delivery practices
- Experience with agile practices
- Passion for helping people fulfil their potential through coaching and mentorship
- Transparent communication style and the ability to building effective relationships
- Growth mindset with pragmatic decision-making skills and strong collaboration skills
- Empathy for others
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package with benefits that support a range of lifestyle choices and requirements and the opportunity to participate in Xero’s success through our Long Term Incentive scheme. Xero has rapidly expanding offices in London, Milton Keynes and Manchester and our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident committed. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.