Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Product Operations Team
As part of the Product Operations team, you’ll be at the intersection of our user experience and all other internal teams. The Product Operations team is tasked to provide contextual feedback across Thumbtack to understand how we can better attract, engage, and retain professionals and customers. This fast-paced team uses a combination of proactive outreach and user-driven approaches to collect, track, prioritize, and size user feedback and bugs to meet our core objective of improving user experience.
About the Role
This role will need to operate cross-functionally with a variety of partners throughout the organization including product and engineering teams. Additionally, this role will need to explore simple and complex problems reported to us by users in order to validate and replicate issues reported. Our ideal candidate is analytical, detail oriented, very organized, and able to prioritize work to manage time efficiently. As a Product Operations Specialist, your ultimate goal will be to advocate for the user experience internally and influence other teams to ultimately make the experience better.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the Thumbtack product and keep abreast of recent changes and new features in order to process bugs and feedback reports effectively.
- Reliably answer product questions and escalate issues from Experience Operations team members and other internal customers in the appropriate Slack channels.
- Draw insights from data in order to help change behaviors/make decisions within his/her function.
- Attend team huddles and make these discussions meaningful by being proactive in sharing valuable insights and surfacing issues.
Product Operations Task Management
- Demonstrate accountability by processing the required bug and feedback reports/categorizations, clearly communicating with others, and escalating according to protocol.
- Show critical thinking and intelligent handling of bug and feedback reports.
- Prioritize time to ensure deadlines are met and risk is minimized.
- Effectively coordinate with stakeholders at Thumbtack in a timely manner.
- Be proactive in finding new ways to assess quality, improve processes, and assist the team in meeting quarterly OKRs.
- Assist in project managing new and outstanding special projects, trackers, reports and analyses.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 1 year of experience as Product Operations Specialist I or at least 3 years in a similar function (technical support/quality role)
- Impeccable written and spoken English communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-directed and able to work independently
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced tech startup environment
- Comfortable managing multiple stakeholders (local and international)
- Must be willing to work night shifts and weekends
- Experience using JIRA and Salesforce preferred
- Experience in technical writing preferred
- Experience in quality audits and quality processes preferred
- Proficient in Google suite tools, pivot tabling, and similar reporting styles
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.