Copy Editor, New York Magazine
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Copy editors at New York Magazine are responsible for ensuring pristine copy across the website and in the print magazine. The position requires a sharp eye for detail and the ability to catch every mistake of spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. The copy editor must also have a passion for learning New York Magazine style and contributing to it.
The job is fast-paced and broad in scope, so agility and the ability to work under a tight deadline are key. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, thorough, and attuned to modern and colloquial language—and to the voice of the writer. You need to be a diplomatic, nimble collaborator who enjoys working with editors, other copy editors, and fact-checkers as well as the social-media, art and photo, and leadership teams.
This role is currently remote-only, and can either remain remote, or be based out of our New York once we reopen.
- Copyedit a variety of stories and newsletters for all New York Magazine websites, correcting for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and syntax
- Ensure articles are well written and logically structured, i.e., ensure clarity, accuracy, and flow in the story content
- Help maintain house style and suggest updates to the style guide as needed
- At least one year of experience copy editing a major print or digital publication
- The ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- A strong eye for detail
- Fluency with online publishing and organizational tools
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- An understanding of the importance of language when covering topics like race, labor, and immigration
- A readiness to both raise questions about style and content and to discuss and implement solutions to them
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.