Senior UX/UI Designer (Remote)
Thanks for checking out our job description for a UX/UI Designer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just diving straight in with words like “revolutionising” and “disrupting”.
As such, we apologise in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
All that aside though, we’re pretty proud to be listed number 2 in London’s best startups to work at in 2021; number 3 in Flexa’s most Flexible Companies to work for; listed as one of the 50 fastest-growing companies in London to accelerate your career in 2021; and featured in Sifted's Top European Startups in 2021.
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
Impala is on a mission to transform the travel industry, we need incredibly talented and relentlessly inventive new team members to help us do so. We’re growing quickly now.
By joining Impala as a UX/UI Designer, you will be integral to developing and designing new and existing products which help us achieve our mission.
You will collaborate closely with product managers to develop incredible user experiences and own all components of UI design, with the scope to set the standard and vision for Design at Impala.
You should join us if you:
- You have strong visual design skills and are excited to own all elements of this for new and existing products
- You have experience leading UX and UI design across multiple product teams and take a holistic approach to problem-solving
- You believe user-centricity and high-quality design should be at the core of every design decision and advocate for this
- You can iterate quickly and are experienced in designing solutions at various stages of fidelity e.g. sketches. wireframes, finalised designs
- You have experience developing user journeys for B2B products
- You're familiar with modern tools for design collaboration and prototyping (InVision, Figma etc)
- You enjoy performing user research and using the results of that to constantly improve the products we build
- You are highly collaborative and enjoy working with multiple teams across the business
- You have strong design opinions but are happy to have your mind changed
- You enjoy engaging in ideation rather than just being directed and are excited by bringing designs from concept to completion
- You thrive on excellence, autonomy and questioning conventional wisdom
You shouldn’t join us if (we want to be as honest and transparent as we can):
- You value stability in a product and company, over change and fast-growth.
- You think lofty goals are better left to renovation builders.
- You shy away from candour and fast-paced environments.
What is Impala?
At Impala we’re solving an exciting, complex problem that has held back the hotel industry, if not the entire travel industry, for 20 years.
Forget following emerging technology trends — we’re looking to SET them!
Impala is currently making the process of booking hotel rooms ridiculously easy for any innovator anywhere - to create a better world of travel for all. In short, we’re providing hotels with powerful data distribution infrastructure to unlock opportunity.
More practically, we’re making the world a better place for guests, hotels, and online travel agents of any size! Think Twilio or Plaid for Travel.
And that is very much just the beginning.
Why you should join us:
- We’re revolutionising an out-of-date 1.6 trillion dollar market. This means we’re reimagining what travel can and should look like - and you can be a part of that.
- We’re supported by some of the most respected investors in the business, the early-stage backers behind Deliveroo, SecretEscapes, Trivago, Transferwise, and Airbnb.
- We’re an innovation-bent and product-obsessed team (who don’t take ourselves too seriously)
- Our Async work environment offers more flexibility, less pressure, and a better work-life balance.
- We’ve been remote-first since 2017 and know how to do it. We care about thinking deeply about the workplace.
- We’ve always optimised for quality over quantity when expanding our team. We have Star teams full of Star players across the board at Impala - all of whom work to mutually elevate and support each other
- We offer lofty progression opportunities for all Impalans
- We’re clear on our mission to enable innovators to build the world's most incredible travel experiences.
Where will you work?
We are a remote-first and asynchronous company. This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance, whilst also fostering diversity.
We employ globally for this role (and are expanding the rest of the team globally in the future!)
We also have a London based, non-compulsory, office provision that anyone in London is free to colocate from if/when in town.
You can check out everything we offer to set up your perfect remote work environment here.
And if Relocation excites you - we offer (and encourage!) that opportunity too.
We also have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, whose role is, amongst other things, to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and feel empowered whilst working remotely.
What about the Covid-shaped elephant in the room?
Covid-19 has forced almost every industry in the world to adjust in 2020, and none more so than the travel industry. It is however, an exciting time to be in Travel Tech, with endless opportunities opened up for innovation, that will help jump start the travel industry. Hotels and innovators are no longer satisfied with the status quo.
Backed by some of Europe’s leading investors, we’re on the cusp of launching a product that will connect people and travel once again.
Apply if you want to bring your innovation bent and product-obsession to help change the game in travel.
For more information about what it's like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.