Software Engineer - Test (Starlink)
Remote - Austin, TX
Posted 1 month ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER - TEST (STARLINK)
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. Starlink is now delivering initial beta service and accepting pre-orders both domestically and internationally, and will continue expansion to near global coverage of the populated world in 2021.
To keep up with global demand, SpaceX is breaking ground on a new, state of the art manufacturing facility in Austin, TX. The Test Software Engineer will play a key role as we strive to manufacture millions of consumer facing devices that we ship directly to customers (Starlink dishes, Wi-Fi routers, mounting hardware, etc). Specifically, they are responsible for designing and developing software that automates the testing of physical sensors (such as pressure, acceleration, strain, and temperature) and analysis of such test results. Software engineers in this facility contribute to the final say before a Starlink Kit is shipped for delivery, ultimately ensuring that our customers receive best in class products.
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software in Python and similar languages for manufacturing and engineering design verification
- Develop machine learning and data analysis tools to track and report trends in key parameters and interpret failures
- Interface with custom PostGreSQL-based enterprise databases
- Work closely with manufacturing engineers and operators to improve interfaces for better productivity, throughput, and safety
- Provide training and technical support, and incorporate feedback from factory operators
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physics, or computer science discipline
- 1+ years experience developing application, test, or automation software (internship or extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1+ year experience or master’s degree in a related engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience supporting test and automation to transition products from development to manufacturing
- Experience in software development with Python, Linux, BASH, C/C++, and common markup languages
- Experience with configuration management and source code control, such as Git and SVN
- Experience with Jenkins, PowerShell, Ansible, or Puppet for software deployment
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, RAID, VLANs, network security
- Experience developing graphical user interfaces for workplace applications
- Experience with data trending tools like Grafana, Minitab, R, or JMP
- Experience with SQL database programming and administration
- Experience with high-volume production line automation and test
- Experience with RF protocols including WiFi, Ku, Bluetooth, and GPS
- Extensive knowledge with a range of digital and analog interfaces including GPIB, USB, VISA, TCP/IP, VLAN, CAN bus, SPI, I2C, analog-to-digital conversion
- Excellent leadership, communication and teamwork skill
- Must be available to work extended hours as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.