We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. Calm is passionate about helping people take care of their minds and we believe that Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
- Improving Concentration and Awareness
- Reducing Anxiety
- Improving Memory and Creativity
- Higher EQ
- Increasing Happiness
- Getting Better Sleep
Calm is the #1 consumer brand for digital health, with over 90 million downloads (100K new per day). We weren named Apple’s App of the Year and the world’s first mental health unicorn. Inc. 5000 cited Calm as the 19th Fastest Growing Private Company in America and we were voted the ‘World’s Happiest App’ by the Center for Humane Technology.
Check out the Calm Careers Page to learn more about the mission, our values, and hear personal stories from our employees.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
The Role and the Person
As the VP, Recruiting you will be working closely with every function at Calm and the Management Team. The scope of the functional and employee base is broad - ranging from technology and product, to our revenue team, to G&A functions, to content, creative and brand. The VP, Recruiting needs to have experience and passion for the entirety of the business and for our mission of making the world happier and healthier, operate as a strategic thought partner, and successfully guide the recruiting team responsible for day-to-day partnership with each vertical.
The ideal candidate will be a proven executive and a strategic business operator who leverages their recruiting expertise to provide strategic advice to the business and hiring managers. This individual will have a strong appreciation for driving and delivering repeatable processes, building a diverse and continuous talent pipeline, creating an environment of continuous learning and risk-taking on the recruiting team. The ideal candidate must be passionate about our business and mission, and prioritize thoughtfulness, inclusion and respect in their interactions with their team, colleagues, partners and candidates. Weaving Calm’s core principles of diversity, equity and inclusion into the everyday activities of our recruiting practices, and coaching our hiring managers to do the same, is a critical and exciting component of this role.
You must have a successful track record of scaling early and mid-stage companies to large scale and complexity. In addition, you must have experience setting the external employer brand and tone for a rapidly scaling organization, be comfortable taking strategic bets on non-traditional candidate profiles, and continuously evolving processes to meet the needs of a quickly scaling organization.
As a VP at Calm, you’ll be one of the most senior leaders at the company. Your ability to live the Calm values, exemplify our leadership characteristics, and maintain both high performance and fun on the team are critical components of success.
- 15+ years of recruiting and recruiting leadership experience
- Broad recruiting experience - ideally spanning tech, product, revenue, G&A, and creative functions
- Strong track record of building and leading teams in high-growth companies
- IQ/EQ balance that allows you to use data to inform your decisions and the insight to create deep connections across the business to get the job done
- Proven experience and passion for developing and imbedding DE&I recruiting strategies and practices
- Comfort with ambiguity
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills, including public speaking in various formats
- Proven leader, motivator, who is unafraid to roll-up sleeves and lead from the front”
- Experience of operating at a senior level within both corporate and early stage, high-growth environments
- Build and lead a world-class recruiting team that solidifies Calm as a destination for top talent
- Build a scalable recruiting engine and talent pipeline
- Continuously enhance the candidate experience
- Develop a highly effective, productive, and engaged team of recruiters
- Develop strong cross-functional partnerships across the organization
- Implement repeatable and scalable practices that allow us to dial up (and dial down) our hiring priorities to meet the evolving needs of the business
- Competitive salary and equity
- “Take the time you need” approach to time off
- Coverage for medical, dental, & vision insurance plans
- Home office stipend
- Supportive wellbeing benefits including our EAP support, and monthly wellbeing reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Remote-first environment that allows you to work flexibly from many locations
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Recruiter jobs
- Remote Technical Support Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Recruiting Coordinator jobs
- Remote Content Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Account Manager jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Program Manager jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Marketing Operations Manager jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Remote Java-related jobs
- Remote DevOps-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Stock options-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Integrations-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote User Experience-related jobs
- Remote Open Source-related jobs
- Remote Azure-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Cloud-based-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote FinTech-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote UI-related jobs
- Remote Jira-related jobs