Technical writer - LXD/Anbox
Home based - Americas, EMEA
Posted 1 month ago
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Technical Writer - LXD/Anbox
This is an exciting opportunity for a technical writer passionate about open source software, Linux, and containers. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
The LXD team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the container and virtual-machine manager itself (LXD), the low-level container manager (LXC), virtual filesystem for containers (LXCFS), the sqlite and raft based database behind LXD (dqlite) as well as a variety of features in the Linux kernel.
The Anbox team is responsible for the development and maintenance of the Anbox Cloud platform allowing for the operation of large scale Android container operations based on LXD clustering.
This role is for a technical writer to join the LXD team and help write and maintain the LXD and Anbox Cloud documentation, tutorials, website and marketing content.
You will work with both the LXD and Anbox teams and communities to develop and maintain the documentation and content for those projects.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
- Review and improve the product documentation (primarily written by the developers)
- Keep our getting started guides up to date
- Write, promote and maintain tutorials for new features
- Help with and showcase the content produced by our community members
- Assist with our social media presence (twitter, facebook, youtube, …)
- Interact with our product management and marketing teams for their content needs.
- Assist users on our forums, helping them find the relevant information and drive the improvement of documentation when found to be lacking or hard to find
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have experience with Markdown, YAML and JSON and some familiarity with command line based applications
- You have experience or a strong interest in working with an active open source community.
- You have interest and experience with two or more of the following: cloud computing platforms, virtualization, containers, python, Go or web design
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.