Senior Software Engineer, Storage Team
InfluxData is a fast-growing Series D startup that offers InfluxDB, a time series database recognized industry-wide as the clear leader of the fastest growing database category. InfluxDB is running on hundreds of thousands of machines, used by teams worldwide to monitor and understand their systems and devices. The majority of our users are developers and system integrators working with our open source software. We also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API reducing the infrastructure and time needed to get up and running with InfluxDB.
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer with extensive backend experience to join the team responsible for ensuring that data coming in to and going out of InfluxDB gets written to and read from disk reliably, quickly and correctly. We use a number of cloud native technologies to aid in scaling and fault tolerance coupled with optimised Go and Rust code to assure data integrity across multi vendor clouds and our open source project.
What you’ll be doing
- Full project ownership for critical parts of the storage strategy; design and specification, implementation, communication, test plans and delivery.
- Develop and maintain the Storage tier in InfluxCloud including load balancing, fault tolerance and scaling across all the major cloud vendors.
- Develop and maintain the Storage tier in our Open Source product.
- Liaise with colleagues in engineering, product managers and the Influx community to help prioritise features and define the product roadmap.
- Establish and uphold engineering best practices applied across projects and teams.
- Mentor and level up fellow teammates with pairing and code reviews.
What you bring to the table
- 5+ years of professional engineering experience building and shipping multi-tenant software with SaaS and on-prem delivery models.
- Self motivation and a drive to get to “done”. Working independently but closely integrated with the rest of the team you will deliver and expect high quality results.
- Advanced experience designing, extending and maintaining well-tested Go.
- Experience deploying on, and integrating with AWS, Azure, or GCP cloud environments.
- Experience working with Kafka or similar streaming or queuing systems.
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub).
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Experience working with distributed development teams.
- Experience with non-relational databases (examples: InfluxDB, MongoDB, Redis, Etcd).
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc).
Many InfluxData employees are remote* so you have your choice of working remotely or out of our San Francisco office. (*From a remote perspective, we currently support the UK, Germany, Italy and the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, MA, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OK, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA.)
*While for some roles, we welcome candidates from boot camps/junior candidates, for this role we are looking for an engineer who has 5 or more years of working experience in similar roles.*
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story. Headquartered in San Francisco, InfluxData’s workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. and across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers and computers. We are on a mission to help developers and organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, and Tesla, store and analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, and IoT applications quicker and to scale.
We offer fantastic benefits; in the US these include:
- Medical/ dental/vision insurance with 100% coverage for employees and dependents
- Company contribution to FSA and commuter benefits
- Open PTO - take the time you need
- Life lnsurance, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k (non matching)
- ....and more!
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit our careers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.