Observability - Senior Data Scientist
Posted 1 month ago
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM, Metrics, Logs and Uptime solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
The Observability team is looking for a Data Scientist to develop machine learning technologies to help with root cause analysis, anomaly detection and performance improvement in Logs, Metrics, APM and Synthetic Monitoring data. We value autonomy, curiosity, fastidiousness, and questioning the status quo. You will partner with the broader Elastic Observability team, a diverse set of Observability specialists who lend domain expertise to work with you in order to solve creative Observability problems.
You will also collaborate with the Machine Learning team to work on new and improve existing Machine Learning algorithms.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates every day over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. Thus, the ability to work within a distributed team is critical. You don’t always need to be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but instead should be able to guide discussions to help the team make decisions together.
What you will be doing
- Working as part of the Observability team at Elastic, with other machine learning specialists and engineers
- Your primary focus will be the successful training, evaluating, and delivery of Observability ML integrations, correlations and root cause analysis workflows
- Automate collection of customer feedback data in order to make our models better
- Design small-scale experiments to understand new data and determine concept drift
- Design dashboards to explain efficacy and performance of current vs. historical models
- Participate in collaborative efforts to improve our ML jobs with the ML team and other engineers
- You will be encouraged to design and prototype machine learning models to demonstrate real-time Observability data to provide anomaly detection
- Design and develop data-driven solutions that can run against millions of Observability data points
What you will bring along
- 5+ years of machine learning experience; strong preference for a focus on Observability problems
- Solid understanding of deep learning, clustering, and graph algorithms
- Experience working within engineering teams and being able to apply engineering solutions to data science problems
- Experience using or developing data pipelines including the collection, normalization, storage, and API access of complex event data
- Proficient programming skills and experience using ML-related libraries
- Ability to synthesize evaluation metrics, customer feedback, and internal analysis to tell a clear story of model performance
- Passion for providing novel contributions on machine learning techniques
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- A conscientious approach to communication, a good sense of humour, and a genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with
- Experience with observability, monitoring, and AIOps solutions
- Ability to work in a fast paced and highly autonomous environment
- Experience training models using scikit-learn, xgboost, PyTorch/Tensorflow is a plus
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.