Engineering Manager, Developer Experience
San Francisco, CA (HQ) & Remote: CA, IL, MI, NY, PA, TX, CO, WA, UT, OR
Lob builds APIs that increase the connectivity between the offline and online worlds. We started with our Print and Mail API which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. The second API we launched was Address Verification as addresses are the gateway to the offline world. This API helps people make sure the things they’re sending actually get there.
Customers and developers love our products and we’re growing fast to meet their needs. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Washington, Colorado, Utah and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
The Developer Experience team at Lob ensures our customers have a painless experience while integrating with Lob. We provide open source clients, API documentation, integration examples and OpenAPI specifications to meet the customers where they’re at. We believe that even the largest potential customer has an experience with Lob as an individual developer.
As the Engineering Manager for our Developer Experience team at Lob, you'll
- Represent and advocate for developer experience with other product engineering teams to ensure new API features and changes are consistent with Lob’s public (and internal) API strategy, and provide tools and oversight for developers to make changes to our clients, examples and documentation.
- You should be willing and capable of jumping in and being hands on if necessary (shipping code or configuring CI pipelines when needed). Our teams primarily use Node.js and Go internally. Our open source code is in various languages.
- Be a coach and sounding board for the Developer Experience engineers, rather than telling them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely, kind feedback.
- Recruit, hire, engage, and retain great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our Engineering leadership and other Engineering Managers to support and grow the culture of our engineering team.
For this role, we're looking for...
- At least 1-2 years of experience as a manager or tech lead (preferably with direct reports). We’ll want to hear how your teammates developed and grew under your leadership.
- Knowledge of at least one mainstream programming language, including being able to write, read, and understand code in that language.
- Potentially some open source contributions and/or leadership of OSS projects that provide clients/SDKs or APIs.
- Deep understanding of at least one mainstream programming language, including being able to identify the attributes and patterns of a good client library in that language.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Since great engineers come from lots of diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Remote/distributed, in-office and work from home accommodations
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend)
- Paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have a greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
We are committed to the health and safety of our employees and will not require employees (unless they are serving an essential function) to be in the office until a vaccine is widely available.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals