Principal Software Engineer - Data Architecture (L5)
Remote - US
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Principal Software Engineer to design, architect and build scalable analytics platform for the Corporate Data & Analytics Architecture. This role will be responsible for defining strategies and roadmaps in support of delivering end-to-end data processing and persistence solutions that deliver high performance architectures at a very large scale. The person in this role will partner with the Data & Analytics Infrastructure team and its stakeholders to ensure all technology solutions align with product, security, and architecture long term vision and roadmap.
This Principal Software Engineer will guide teams in determining the appropriate technologies, structuring of data, and workflows in support of high scale big data queries and storage. This role will require technical mentorship and collaboration across engineering and product teams. The scope of technical work required will range from architecture design and proof of concept implementation, to development of data services and storage solutions as needed. Someone with strong experience in programming languages and various technologies such as : distributed storage, stream analytics, lambda architecture, Relational, KV, Document Store is required. Experience with complex application data flows and proven ability to bridge the gap between technical and business application requirements.
This role will be responsible to review existing data architectures to determine overall effectiveness and compliance with original objectives, develop comprehensive strategies for improving or replacing underperforming areas and present these plans to managers and executives . Research new technologies, data modeling methods and information management systems to determine which ones should be incorporated into company data architectures, and develop implementation timelines and milestones
Twilio is looking for a technical leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of building scalable data solutions. They also have:
- 5+ years experience in Distributed storage, stream analytics, lambda architecture, Relational, KV, Document Store.
- An understanding of core data warehousing design principles to design/architect scalable database.
- Proven ability to bridge the gap between technical and business application requirements.
- Strong team leader. Enjoys mentoring and collaboration across engineering and product teams
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience with the cloud, APIs, communications, enterprise software, devices, and mobility..
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Analyze data structures across data initiatives and provide key findings to internal stakeholders.
- DRAW THE OWL: Identify areas of improvement and provide recommendations on best practices..
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Lead or assist in all aspects of building a scalable architecture to build out an analytical platform, including strategy formation, developing business cases, project execution..
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Interact extensively across all functional teams within Twilio and drive efficiencies by partnering with all surrounding teams.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Ensure the consistent exercise of appropriate judgment and discretion in evaluating data architectures, designing and executing collaboratively.
The Data and Analytics Infrastructure team is central to drive analytical and BI solutions for all of Twilio’s cross functional and product teams.. We work closely with cross functional teams and product teams to build and drive the company's data & analytics strategy & infrastructure. We lead all aspects of enterprise data warehousing/data integrations/BI/Analytics.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146,240 - $182,800
Rest of Colorado:
$127,960 - $159,950
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks