DevOps Engineer (Remote Eligible)
DevOps Engineer (Remote Eligible)
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the https://coronavirus.upenn.edu/ for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
DevOps Engineer (Remote Eligible)
Job Profile Title
Application Developer C
Job Description Summary
The DevOps engineer has responsibility for the planning, development, and support of a layer of infrastructure that allows the library to package, deploy, monitor, and maintain applications that are developed from scratch at the library or that are our local customizations of open-source software like Samvera and Blacklight. This work requires close collaboration with developers, digital projects staff, and sysadmins, because the DevOps Engineer will create systems and processes to deliver software prepared by developers to hardware managed by sysadmins, entailing responsibility for a distinct, emerging layer of technical infrastructure.
The DevOps Engineer will:
• Collaborate with developers, the core services team, and an incumbent peer DevOps Engineer to organize and promote high-quality releases of library applications to production.
• Research, plan, introduce, and maintain processes for continuous integration, automated builds, more frequent deployments, application monitoring, and other practices that will improve quality and efficiency.
• Plan and implement robust development and production environments.
• Test, troubleshoot, and upgrade systems and services to ensure high uptime/availability of library applications.
• Serve as administrator and point of contact for cloud services on behalf of developers, digital projects staff, sysadmins, and stakeholders (currently primarily AWS S3 and Glacier storage, Digital Ocean).
• Participate in best practices such as integration testing, tracking QA process, and coordinating UA testing.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 1-2 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, are required. Demonstrated experience developing, managing, and deploying Docker images is essential. Experience with Linux systems and a programming language like Bash, Python, or Ruby is required.
• Experience with container orchestration tools (e.g. Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, etc.).
• Experience with configuration management and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools, such as Ansible and Terraform.
• Proficient with continuous integration and continuous deployment frameworks, such as GitLab CI/CD, CircleCI, or GitHub Actions.
• Experience with distributed version control systems, such as Git, for code management.
• Understanding of system and/or microservices architectures.
• Familiarity with software development life cycle processes.
• Experience in a library or higher education environment preferred.
A Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your Resume/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Budgeted Pay Range:
$70-80K commensurate with education and experience.
Job Location - City, State
Remote Eligible - This position is eligible for a fully remote schedule with all work performed remotely. (Note: Only salaried (i.e., exempt), non-temporary positions are eligible for remote work outside the tri-state area (Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.)
Department / School
$51,824.00 - $109,535.33
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
• Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
• Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
• Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
• Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
• Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
• Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
• Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
• University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
• Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
• Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
• Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
• Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3494287
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Remote Work and WFH career opportunities
Find open roles in Engineering, Design, Data, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Support and more, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Remote Solutions Architect jobs
- Remote Staff Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Site Reliability Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Product Marketing Manager jobs
- Remote Business Analyst jobs
- Remote Senior Data Scientist jobs
- Remote Technical Account Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Backend Engineer jobs
- Remote Senior Data Analyst jobs
- Remote Sales Engineer jobs
- Remote Solutions Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Recruiter jobs
- Remote Product Owner jobs
- Remote Salesforce Administrator jobs
- Remote Security Engineer jobs
- Remote Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Program Manager jobs
- Remote Senior Customer Success Manager jobs
- Remote QA Engineer jobs
- Remote Business Development Manager jobs
- Remote Principal Software Engineer jobs
- Remote Technical Writer jobs
- Remote Senior Frontend Engineer jobs
- Remote Staff Accountant jobs
- Remote Senior Project Manager jobs
- Remote Backend-related jobs
- Remote B2B-related jobs
- Remote Customer service-related jobs
- Remote React-related jobs
- Remote Data-driven-related jobs
- Remote CRM-related jobs
- Remote Product management-related jobs
- Remote HR-related jobs
- Remote Kubernetes-related jobs
- Remote Mentoring-related jobs
- Remote Financial services-related jobs
- Remote Linux-related jobs
- Remote Machine Learning-related jobs
- Remote Docker-related jobs
- Remote Interpersonal skills-related jobs
- Remote Entrepreneurial-related jobs
- Remote GCP-related jobs
- Remote CI/CD-related jobs
- Remote HTML-related jobs
- Remote Cybersecurity-related jobs
- Remote UX-related jobs
- Remote Scrum-related jobs
- Remote Banking-related jobs
- Remote KPIs-related jobs
- Remote Data Science-related jobs