Editor, Eater Detroit (Part-Time)
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to oversee its Detroit city site, one of its marquee publications. This is a part-time, union position.
What you’ll do:
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in Detroit and Eater’s approach to covering it
- Oversee all of the site’s content, from daily news to maps to guides and other reporting
- Ideate and oversee occasionally longer lead feature and trend stories and reports about the Detroit restaurant scene
- Maintain a wide network of sources both inside and outside metro Detroit restaurant brands
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the Detroit restaurant community
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards.
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet Eater’s standards
- Assign and edit the work of freelancers; ensure a freelancer pool that reflects the diverse demographic of voices in your city
- Oversee social media, including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, to promote the site’s content
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers, and collaborate with other cities and Eater teams as needed
- Occasionally appear on panels, radio, and other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
- Oversee the sending of daily newsletter
What you'll bring:
- Experience in journalism, particularly with breaking daily news, developing sources and covering a beat, and editing copy
- Comfort with cold calling and fast pace of digital news, as well as a sense of urgency
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgement, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
- Excellent organizational skills, focus, and the ability to work independently
- Impeccable grammar and attention to detail with an eye toward clean copy
- Comfort with adapting to new content management systems
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, hospitality, or legal matters
- Experience with sourcing photos and article layout
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a regular, part-time position averaging 20 hours weekly. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.