Senior Technical Writer
Remote - United States
Grafana Labs is the company behind Grafana, an open source tool for visualizing and analyzing metrics. It's commonly used for infrastructure and application monitoring, but we've also seen installations to monitor things like beehives, power-plants, or even ambulances. Grafana's mission is to democratize metrics: users can create dashboards that help them get insights into how their applications behave, enabling them to iterate, take action and improve faster.
As part of our remote-first, cross-functional team focused on Grafana Cloud - our hosted cloud offering - you will work with software developers, product managers, and support to create guides and that help customers use our products to achieve their goals. Reporting to our Head of Self-Service, the Senior Technical Writer will be part of a new and growing team focused on building a great product experience for Grafana Cloud.
What you’ll be doing:
- Analyze documentation needs and make recommendations regarding documentation priorities.
- Write practical guides on how to get started with our products/features and best practices for common use cases.
- Working with team members, create and implement a documentation plan.
- Partner with our engineering teams to create public documentation on our Cloud products: Grafana Cloud for Prometheus Metrics, Graphite Metrics, Loki, worldPing and more.
- Communicate highly complex technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Write articles for a wide spectrum of customers: those new and experienced with our toolset.
- Coach developers and engineers to improve their writing.
- Review, test, and edit content submitted by internal and external non-writer contributors.
- Advocate for our customers in everything you do.
- Ability to learn and understand complex technical concepts and explain them to developer or layperson audiences
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills.
- Deep empathy for customers.
- Comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable working independently and setting priorities based on business needs.
- Able to learn how to use new software quickly.
- Familiarity with GitHub and open source methodology.
Nice to have:
- API documentation experience
- Familiarity with developer tools and the DevOps ecosystem
- Experienced working within the agile software development lifecycle, Grafana Labs uses Scrum
- At least eight years experience as a professional technical writer or equivalent.
- A degree in English, Writing, Journalism, Software Development, or similar.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA) with a 4% employer contribution match
- 30 days vacation in addition to Public Holidays
At our core Grafana Labs is an open company. We believe that open source is the superior way to build and deliver software. We also believe in being open and transparent with our employees. We believe that transparency breeds trust and that trust is the foundation of great teamwork. We actively seek to break down silos, empower employees with information and allow people to “see the whole picture”. This transparency extends to our strategy, our financials, our successes and failures. We empower our team to make their own decisions and trust that they will try to do the right thing.
We are a remote first team. Our three founders are on three different continents and our team of 100+ global employees are based in 22 different countries. Hiring remotely unlocks the broadest, most diverse, most talented pool of potential employees. It also means that we have built our culture around a flexible and autonomous work environment based on trust.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and to do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.